R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing the Castle Rock tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CUGrad90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing the Castle Rock tires
    Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 11:22am
So I'm the second owner of a 2020 RPod 171 that still has the stock Castle Rock 225/75/15 tires.

The original owners made one trip with the pod- from NC to Oregon and back.

We've pulled from NC to Florida a couple of times, and to Maine last summer.

These tires look good to me, but I've read the horror stories of the "china bomb" tires blowing out, and these have thousands of miles on them at this point.

I'm headed back down to Florida next week and just ordered a couple of Carlisle Radial Trail tires to mount tomorrow.

So, I'm just wondering...am I being paranoid to go ahead and replace tires that seem to pass the "eye test," or have I already probably pressed my luck with long trips on these Castle Rocks.

Curious as to anyone's opinion. (BTW got the Carlisles for $92.00 each)
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 1:25pm
Much more important than who makes the trailer tires is their load specifications and their proper inflation. General recommendations from tire manufacturers is to run tires that have about a 25% safety factor above the axle load divided by the number of tires on the axle. Your max axle load should be the dry weight of the trailer plus the max cargo weight minus the listed tongue weight. All that should be on your trailer loading sticker.

Take half than axle number (2 tires) and multiply by 1.25. Then, look up the max load spec on the tires you're running (or will be running). If that rating is lower than the number you came up with then get higher load rated tires.

Don't just go by the letter load rating on ST tires, that rating changes with manufacturer, model and size. Use the actual rating in pounds.

The tire load ratings assume you are inflating them to their max pressure, so that's what you should do (cold in the morning). There isn't anything worse than underinflating a trailer tire, they have thick sidewalls which can overheat if flexed too much by being underinflated.

If you do the above you can get good service out of your tires regardless of what brand you buy. A few years ago the lower end trailer manufacturers (like FR) were putting underrated tires on their trailers for the axle loads, and lots of them failed. They happened to mostly be from China, which is I think why the "China bomb" story got started. Also, it's a whole lot easier to blame the tire manufacturer than to accept responsibility as the owner for improper inflation. There are many many owners, myself included, that have gotten good service from properly selected and maintained Chinese tires.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2022 at 1:47pm
Good day. You may have done it already, but maybe not, you can use the search function to see other threads on this discussion.

Now I will share my thoughts on what I have learned/done about trailer tires. After reading lots of the horror stories online last year, I brought our 192 home and swapped out the brand new Castle Rock tires for a new set of 3 new tires. I bought ones that are of a heavier load range (E vs D) to get a heavier rated tire as the trailer weight when loaded is right at the original tires upper limit.

But, that isn't the entire story. Tires have to be cared for properly to perform to expectations. So, I also purchased a set of sensors that screw onto the valves of the trailer tires (I bought enough to go onto our truck tires as well). Now they not only tell me the current tire pressures, they also give you the temperature of each tire as well. So now every am before driving/towing, I go around my TT and TV, tap the sensors to wake them up as they are motion sensitive and I check the display unit in my TV cab to see what my cold tire pressures are. I also carry good quality pressure gauges just in case. The higher rated tires use higher pressures so I allow for that. I also carry out a detailed inspection of the tires every day, looking for any damage that may have occurred whether by a pothole or road debris.

I can set pressure and temperature alarms for each set of tires as I get to know the normal readings and anything outside of them the alarm will sound.

Tires can fail for many reasons, and a low tire pressure with a heavy load will increase the tires temperature (as will a hot brake, say if a brake doesn't release properly or seizing bearings if they aren't sufficiently/properly lubricated) and can lead to a sudden, premature failure. I feel this is one of the main causes of sudden tire failure.

Another tool I would suggest is a digital thermometer that uses a beam to read temperature. I carry a decent one and can come in handy if verifying a hot brake. I have also used it to help others determine if they have a hot brake or not. You can use the back of your hand in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend it as you may find how hot they can get.

One of the regular contributers here (Stephenh I think) just had a Carlysle blow out. He has a recent thread on the trip and adventures and might be worth a read. I think he is meticulous in his tire care as well, but it still can happen.

So, there you go. I hope this helps you out and good luck with your new tires!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
CUGrad90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CUGrad90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 11:10am
Thanks for info!

Campman, what brand TPMS did you get? I assume since I'm towing a 171 I don't need a system with a repeater, since the trailer axle isn't so far back.

campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2022 at 11:28am
Good day.

I ordered a TPMS system called WASP Innovations that I found online through Amazon. I got one with 8 sensors in total. I think I got the system with 4 and added 4 more and now I have marked them for each tire and have 2 spares just in case.

You are correct, you shouldn't need a repeater to boost the signal. We don't need one for our F150 and 192, the system works no problem.

I like the rechargeable battery in the unit in the cab (as I use the charge port in my truck for my Garmin GPS when we are driving)...the battery lasts for days and days. To save the batteries inside the sender units on the tires I take them all off when we are parked for any length of time.   Also keeps them from being stolen if someone is of the mind to do that.

Have a great weekend,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
 Post Reply Post Reply