R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Castle Rock Tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castle Rock Tires
    Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 4:33am
Just returned from the Traverse City R-Pod Rally and had a question from two different owners about their Castle Rock Tires.  They both have the R-Pod 202, one being a 2021 and the other a 2022 model year.  The question was to replace or not, having four of these the weight per tire will not be as much of an issue as it was on the single axle models.  They are load range "D."
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 5:58am
Check the actual load rating in lbs of the specific size tires you have. Should be available on line. Then compare 4x this number with the total max axle load of the trailer. That should be the empty weight plus the max cargo weight minus the tongue weight (all of these should be on the trailer weight sticker).

The general recommendation from tire manufacturers is that the tire max loading should be about 25% more than the max trailer weight. If it isn't, then consider getting a new set of tires. If it is then camp on.

Keep trailer tires inflated to their max rated pressure cold. Check daily while on the road. It doesn't help them to underinflate because the thick sidewalls flex too much and overheat.

Get an IR thermometer and check tire temps at each gas stop, or get a TPMS that also does temperature and monitor that way.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2022 at 10:01am
Offgrid doesn't need my approval,but I will give a big +1 anyways!

Quite often when we are out with our trailer (or out for a walk even) when we strike up a conversation trailer owners ask about tires and how to know if they are good or not...and ask many more questions of course.

The more people that know about towing safely the better!

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2022 at 2:26pm
A tire guy once told me that from the outside, most tires pretty much look alike. You can't tell what's actually inside unless you take them apart.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:52am
Very true, all tires look similar...what can't be known is the standard build quality of the applicable factory.

You get or use the tires you can afford and feel safe with. After that it is on the individual owners as to how long they last, and where they do most of their maintenance...at home or on the side of a busy road.

The only thing you control is how you inspect and maintain your tires, tools, vehicles etc.

If you don't maintain and inspect regularly as well as monitor for anything out of the ordinary happening as you drive you are more likely to suffer a sudden unexpected failure at possibly the worst time.

I had a tire on my covered utility trailer start to fail. There was no vibration being felt till suddenly there was! Took several stops (on the side of the road)and feeling the tires to find where there was a slight bulge in the tread area where I assume the ply's had begun to separate. Lots of tread, lots of life, but you know what could have happened not too long after if I had kept driving.

Have a great day and drive (tow) safe,

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

A tire guy once told me that from the outside, most tires pretty much look alike. You can't tell what's actually inside unless you take them apart.

... or they blow apart.  Confused

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 11:57am
Everything said above is absolutely true when talking about ST tires. Some folks (me for one) run LT tires which are rated at 80psi. You do not want to run 80psi on standard RPod wheels as per the dealer we purchased it from who also consulted FR. Some internet research confirmed that a LT tire running at 65psi will do just fine on an RPod. FR's Wolf Pup trailers do just that.

Not trying to stir up debate.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply