R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

fridge on propane - Event Date: 23 Jun 2022 - 23 Jul 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: fridge on propane
    Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 12:47pm
Well I think I have done all the recommendations for getting my fridge to work on propane to no avail (at least I think).  When its mention of the recommendation of disconnecting the regulator and blowing out some lines where one may find some goo, are we talking of the one right by the propane tank?  We are not talking about the propane gas valve by the back of the fridge, correct?    Not sure what else to do here.  Any further advice is much appreciated. Thanks,  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 5:48pm
Jon, when I first had this issue, the pod was 7 years old and I always left the propane line on, even during the winter.  Near the end of the 7th year (2017) I hardly had any flame on either stove or fridge.  Upon disassembling the line the goes from the regulator to the fridge I had the 'goo' dripping out of the regulator as well as the line leaving the regulator going to the fridge.  The line was blown out but the regulator had to be replaced. 

How is your flame on either the stove or hot water heater?  Have you added screens to the back of both your air flow panels on the back side of the fridge?  This will keep out bees, spiders and such that can make either nests or webs that will drastically affect the flame in your combustion area as well as muck up the cooling tower that the flame runs up into. 

Check both regulator and line leaving regulator first, disconnect both ends of that line and see if anything comes out when compressed air is added.  Secondly, especially if you have NOT added screens to those two panels, take a can of compressed air, or your air gun if you have a compressor and blow out the combustion area as well as the cooling tower, top to bottom and then bottom to top after the chimney is removed (simply find the single phillips screw that holds the chimney on and then remove the whole thing.  A swirly silver rod is attached to the top of the chimney, make sure that is clean and shiny.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:38am
+1 Jato but also use the compressed air to blow out the gas supply line going to (just upstream of) the burner orifice and the burner itself.  The majority of the time low gas flow is due to the orifice being restricted, there's a very small opening in the orifice and don't try and clean it out by pushing something through it.  Hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:24am
Thanks you guys.  Plaese be patient with me!!!  Gas flow/flame to stove, hotwater heater, and furnace are all 100%.  Fridge chimney, gas supply line going to burner 100% clear, orfice area cleaned.  I do have screens on my vents. I just want to make sure on 2 things.  When we are talking about the regulator, the one right off the propane tank correct?  So the line from the propane tank goes to the regulator, then the line from the regulator into the camper right under the batterys, then the copper gas line in back of fridge into the fridge gas valve, which then has the small supply line going to the burner.  Can you guys please clarify which section to blow out.  I think you may be saying pronae tank regulator to the copper supply line to the gas valve, correct?  Again your time and guidance is much appreciated.  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 10:46am
I have found that the gas supply line (in your words) the small gas supply line from the fridge gas valve to the burner most frequently is the culprit and I believe it's the orifice that is plugging up.  Again hope this helps
Jay

179/2019
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:08pm
Thanks Jay, but the orifice is clear.  I wonder if at all possible it could be the regulator, and if so any recommendations.  I will definately disconnect those hoses to see if the dreaded goo is there!!  Was looking at etrailer, but still not sure exactly which one.  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 2:38pm
If all the other gas appliances are working correctly on gas mode, the regulator which is located near the 20lb tank should be working ok.  You can still disconnect the gas down stream line from the regulator by the 20lb tank and blow the line out from the fridge area to insure there is no gooie stuff in the line.  As far as the size of the flame on the fridge it should be audible, in other words when the fridge starts up on the gas mode you should be able to hear it light up and run from inside the trailer.  You can have a minor restriction in the gas orifice and still have a pretty good flame but not be sufficient enough to develop enough heat in the "cooling tower" (actually it is heating up the refringent) to cool the inside of the fridge.  It does not take much of a restriction in the orifice to compromise the cooling of the fridge running on gas.  If you are still not getting the fridge cold running on gas disconnect the gas line at the gas shut off valve in the back of the fridge that is connected to the orifice mounted on the burner head.  Put high pressure air (100+psi) into the gas valve end of the line.  I am not trying to belabor the point just trying to get on the same wave length.

If you were having problems with the LP gas regulator up in front of the trailer by the gas tank I would think that all your gas appliances would be operating abnormally.  Like a low flame on the stove, furnace, and water heater. Maybe a LP gas dealer could verify the gas pressure down stream of the regulator? Good Luck hope you find the problem. 
Jay

179/2019
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tars Tarkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:42pm
I was having trouble getting a decent flame on our stove a few years ago and found a kink in the line to the stove from the main copper line under the camper.  I fixed that and the issue went away.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 11:06am
update.  disconnected gaslines......zero goo.  no kinks in any gasline.  burner/flue/orfice spotless.  competely fathomed here.  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 3:05pm
Do you have any flame at the burner when the fridge tries to light?  If you have a flame does it stay burning until turned off?
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>