R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

fridge on propane - Event Date: 23 Jun 2022 - 23 Jul 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: fridge on propane
    Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 4:35pm
clicks.....ignites for 2 seconds with flame...blows out
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 8:16pm
I found this on RVFORUM.NET. The guy was having the same issue as you. Refrigerator would light then go out after a short period. His was an older model. This is what he did to resolve it. 

I think I got real lucky on this one!  I printed out the manual referred to above and found the instructions on how to clean the fridge.  It was filthy.....I pulled the burner out & dumped out at least a teaspoon of rusty dust.  This may not sound like a lot but given the burner is a tube about 3/8 in diameter and only 3 or 4 inches long, it's quite a bit.  I then blew the flue out with compressed air, removed the orifice & soaked both the orifice & burner in alcohol.  I put it back together and it lit right up.  I let it run for about 6 hours with no problems.  My only cost was the $3.50 for the alcohol. Maybe this will do the trick.

This was a response to him also.
No, the thermocouple senses if the flame is flaming, The cycle is this

Gas flow starts and very shortly thereafter the control board sends voltage spikes to the sparker causing sparks which ignite the fuel/air mix  (Very Very shortly)  This remains static for a few seconds while the thermocouple heats up and sends a signal back to the control board "FLAME ON" At the point the board continues to monitor the thremocouple (in fact two temperture sensors are monitored) until one of three situtations is discovered.

1: Flame sensor thermocouple stops sending "Flame On" signal (meaning the flame went out for some reason, ie: Out of gas, Flue clogged) 

2: The cold sensor (inside the 'fridge) says "Cold enough"

3: power (normally 12vdc) is lost (you turned it off, battery dead)

Thus the thermocouple in the burner area is the flame sensor, if it is not working the control board detects "Out of gas" and closes the valve for safety

My husband says you could have a bad thermocouple/thermistor…

Here’s a link found on same sight that might be helpful for troubleshooting.
Go to www.bryantrv.com/docs.html and you might be able to find a service manual for your fridge that you can download. At the top of his service documents is a generic service manual that might help.  Good luck!
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 6:47am
+1 - 1nana2many is the path I would follow to resolve the problem you are having. 
Jay

179/2019
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 8:06am
so if Im reading this correctly, is the recommendation a thermocouple?  The orfice and burner are clean.  I really do apprecite everyones input, I'm just getting frustrated!!  jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 8:20am
The thermistor is a safety sensor that shuts off if conditions are not correct, but if it is not functioning properly is could shut off the propane incorrectly when it shouldn’t be doing that. Go to link I provided and download the first manual in the list that comes up. Page down in the PDF until you get to information about thermistor…it has some diagrams. You might also be able to find the exact service manual for your own refrigerator. These are service manuals for professional RV repair people that go into much more detail then what would come with the purchase of the RV/refrigerator.

As another thought, and I am no expert, I have seen many mentions about the controls on the refrigerators requiring the battery to be charged even if on AC…please check to make sure your battery cut-off switch is not in off position( if you have one installed) or battery is not dead to rule this out first.
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 1:12pm
Tell me im off my rocker.......thinkin about ordering a new burner unit which includes a new thermocouple and ignitor.  Price is around $275ish in USA, $100 from the UK.  Thoughts?  Waste of money?  Bad call ordering oversees? jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:01pm
Do you have any friends who could test things first? If it’s just one part, seems like a lot to pay. Your igniter seems to be working or you would get no flame at all. We have had our hot water heater not want to light for something as simple as a spider web in the burner. This a a fairly common problem when your camper sits unused for a while.
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 3:53pm
cant find individual parts........no cobwebs on this unit......its spotless......camper doesnt sit......thanks though, jpp
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 4:51pm
If your fridge is going on 10 years of age it is getting close to it's end of life. Absorption fridges use ammonia as their refrigerant and suffer from internal corrosion. At 10 years its living on borrowed time.

So starting to put money into the ridiculously expensive Dometic parts at that age is probably not a great idea, if you can get them at all. I'd suggest a new refrigerator is a better alternative.

You could consider changing to a 12V compressor fridge as an alternative to a replacement absorption fridge. These are very efficient and work well regardless of the ambient temperature, but they do use more energy from your 12V power system.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:08pm
ill chance on a $100 dollar part........  
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>