Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Gravel road rated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gravel road rated
    Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 11:46am
We have found that our trailer does reasonably well on bumpy and dirt roads, though I certainly wouldn't take it off road that some of the small heavy very high clearance trailers can manage.  With no slide out, minimal overhang from the frame rails, high ground clearance with leaf springs, and I-beam frame rails, it seems to be plenty sturdy for managing some pretty bad roads, provided one drives slowly.  The biggest limitation is the hitch clearance.  The weight distribution torsion bars stick down a bit and limit crossing abrupt changes in ground clearance.  If I take them off, then the back end of the TV drops a bit and the bottom of the E-2 hitch is about as low as the bottom of the torsion bars.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 8:32am
Wow, the smallest one is over $70k and weighs 4400 lbs dry. You could buy a really nice heavy TV for that. Overkill for the Parkway for sure.   
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:48am
I saw one of these on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The guy had a whole bunch of solar panels on the trailer and on his pickup truck.

https://www.blackseries.net/travel-trailers/
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 1:03pm
There are lots of companies offering off road trailers. But of course they are much more heavily constructed so to stay within your weight restriction you would need to get a much smaller trailer without all the amenities. Expensive too. Some are expandable to try to compensate. Take a look at opus camper for example.

And no rpods don't really hold up better than expected. There are lots of reports of bent axles, frames, sagging floors, and cabinets shaking loose, etc on this forum and elsewhere.

IMHO there ain't no free lunch. To paraphrase the old saying: light weight, robust construction, space, choose any two. So consider getting a heavier TV if you have the coin, or just travel VERY SLOWLY (like walking speed) when you get on rough roads. The latter is what I did. You get there eventually and without damage, just have to be patient.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 3:43pm
We find ourselves on western Forest roads with the Gastropod, banging it up on waffleboarded and potholed gravelled surfaces. I agree with the manufacturer that R-Pods aren't designed or built for this. Has anyone found an alternative that is gravel road rated? Or, found their pod holding together better than expected? I sure would be willing to trade airconditioning and the microwave away for heavier connections, but am limited in my towing capacity to around 5,000lbs.

Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12