R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Furnace fan won't turn on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Furnace fan won't turn on
    Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 6:24pm
My furnace has decided to go on strike. When I turn on the thermostat nothing happens, no fan, nothing. It was working fine two weeks ago but now it's dead. Two years ago I replaced the t-stat with a 2-wire when I removed my air conditioner. It's always worked well until now. Wires are solidly connected to the thermostat. Any suggestions?
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 6:06am
You can Google up the service manual which has a troubleshooting chart. But the troubleshooting protocol is to get out your trusty multimeter and check the stat, fuses, switch, etc to be sure you're getting 12V to the blower time delay relay. You can just jumper around the tstat if you want to for test purposes.

If you are getting 12V to the time delay relay but the TDR isn't closing to provide 12V to the blower then replace it. Otherwise the problem would have to be the blower motor itself.

Good luck and please let us know what the problem and fix were.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mikeyg2347 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 8:59am
Thanks. Electrical is not my forte, but I will forge ahead. Probably a few days before I can get to it, but I will let you know what I find. 
Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 11:22am
I just tried it again out of curiosity, and, you guessed it, it came right on. I suppose it's going to work perfectly until late September when I'll be fishing up some remote high elevation Forest Service road and it will puke again. 
Mike
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 4:17pm
Next time it doesn't want to run, bump, slap, kick it.  If that makes it run, you likely have a bad spot in the commutator, or open winding in the armature of the motor.  
John
'16 R-Pod 180
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 5:09pm
All of those strategies are within my skill set. Thanks.
Mike
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 6:06am
The furnace didn't originally go into lockout mode did it? To get out of lockout you have to turn the stat all the way off (or otherwise remove power), then back on, just turning up the temp setting won't do it.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 9:09am
I don't think so.  I was turning the stat all the way off when it wasn't working. The big difference is that I had driven home and I'm wondering if the bumps and vibrations are what got it going again. It's still working this morning.

Mike
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote mikeyg2347 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 10:55am
Offgrid, your comment about lockout got me thinking, so I found the manual and went through the trouble shooting guide. I ran out of propane the 2nd day of our trip and I'm wondering if the low gas tank had moisture in it (I was using up last year's propane) which, according to the guide, might make it go into lockout. I had a spare bottle of fresh propane, but if the old gas was still in the line at the furnace maybe it stayed in lockout until the moisture was somehow purged? Not sure what the mechanism for that would be, but it makes sense to me. (Not that making sense to me is significant.)
Mike
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by mikeyg2347

I ran out of propane the 2nd day of our trip and I'm wondering if the low gas tank had moisture in it (I was using up last year's propane) which, according to the guide, might make it go into lockout. I had a spare bottle of fresh propane, but if the old gas was still in the line at the furnace maybe it stayed in lockout until the moisture was somehow purged?

After going through numerous cylinders of propane with our 177 over the past 11+ years I do not think this would be a valid reason for what you encountered.  As your tank empties (hence furnace doesn't fire up) and you remove the tank from the line, any gas in the system will escape into the atmosphere.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>