R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ceiling panels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ceiling panels
    Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 9:44pm
Turns out my 172 had a roof leak through the spoiler screws. Not sure why they didn’t properly seal them? My ceiling has no bulged out and I’m wondering where I can get that ceiling panels to replace it? It appears to be a melamine service on thin plywood. Before I remove it I was wondering if it would make sense just a scrape out the small area that has delaminated and Bondo it. Then paint over. Any suggestions?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 4:32am
You are far from unique there have been many leaks in the spoiler attachment holes reported here.

If you watch this video you can see how the curved roof sections are constructed. They are laminated ply interior sheeting stapled to 1x wood stringers, with insulation batts dropped in.

So one problem is going to be getting the insulation dried out. It might be easiest and best to just remove the trim around the damaged panel and pull off the interior sheet so you can get at the insulation and also insect the stringers. Then staple up a new ceiling sheet with similar appearance and replace the trim. Patching some type of sandable filler like Bondo and then painting could work too if you're comfortable that things have gotten dried out and there isn't internal damage that will show up again later. Or maybe just remove the bulge and glue a patch or a photo/piece of art over the bad spot. Up to you.

Construction video
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2022 at 1:59pm
The video sure shows the cheap construction. Ill be working the outside first and replacing the spoiler screws with stainless ones and using some 5200 sealant. Once thats sealed Ill debate the patching or replacement. I see on the web that RV suppliers sell the 4x8 sheets of material that is specifically made for RVs. Sigh..........I bought the trailer thinking it would get me out more,but it seems like I end up working on it like a house..........Thanks for the reply and info and Ill take photos of the work for later uploading
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 5:05am
5200 is great stuff. just be aware if you aren't already that you will probably never get that apart again. The stuff is tenacious.

The issue with interior panel replacement will be matching the appearance, assuming that's important to you. Otherwise it probably doesnt matter what you use as long as it conforms to the curved surface.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2022 at 6:16am
If I recall correctly, the spoilers, at least the one FR provided to us in their recall of our 172, are made of soft plastic.  Sealing it with caulk doesn't provide a very tight closure at the points where water can enter.  There are a couple threads in the archives in which this topic was discussed.  Several of us sealed the spoiler's upper and side edges with Dicor seam tape, leaving the bottom open for condensation to escape, and eliminated the leak danger.  Also, if you ever need to remove the spoiler, it is much easier than fighting a permanent bedding compound like the 3M 5200.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:50pm
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:51pm
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:53pm
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:55pm
Rpodrrr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rpodrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2022 at 11:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>