Topic ClosedMy Bike

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Bike
    Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 6:54am
I'm in the process of building a bicycle that will look like the one pictured below.  With a few changes though.  The gas tank is custom made and molded into the frame between the top 2 bars.  The Ape Hanger handle bars will be 1/2 moon on mine.  Other than that it will be the same.  The bike is 7.5' long and is a Dyno Roadster beach cruiser.  Power is a 2hp 2 stroke.  The color will be bright metal flake red.  Right now it is about ready to be painted.  I can't wait for it to be finished.  My Jeep gets about 15mpg running around town.  The bike gets about 100mpg.

Terry

RP-175 W/Lift Kit 2011 Ford F-150 4X4
Saint Augustine, FL: The first permanent European settlement in the USA: 1565
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 6:59am
My plans are for the bike to ride in the R-Pod when I go camping.  Due to the length of it I won't be able to carry it on a bike rack.  It's a lot longer than my Jeep is wide!  Any other suggestions?

Terry 
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:18am
    Butterfly Lee has a lot of experience with ideas to store bicycles she may be able to help. The roof of your Jeep if it is not to heavy to lift up there may be a way. Is the bike a present to your self. Its a good looking bike!           David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 9:36am
Cool Bike!   How heavy is it?  
The only idea I've come up with so far (and you'll need to be reasonably handy) is:

Relocate your battery and make your own rack to carry it across the tongue.  I'm thinking you would need something more robust than the standard bike racks.  While it is wider than the body of the Pod, (if memory serves) the wheel width or "track" of the Pod is close to 8'.  I'm thinking about something on the order of a steel 7' "U" channel across the tongue, with one or two uprights to hold it vertical.  You could even make a hinged/removable 4'-5' extra section for a ramp to roll it up on the tongue.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 1:23am
Love it.  Top speed?  Since it is motorized I assume it needs to be licensed?
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 4:09am
I haven't weighed it but it is kind of heavy, steel frame.  I got it a couple of months ago from a guy in Alabama.  It had been setting outside for 2 or 3 years.  So it had rusty rims, steering fork and handle bar. 

Getting it on the roof of the Jeep would be a problem.  Its 7' to the top of my roof basket.  I'm only 5'8" tall!  I don't really want to put it in the camper because of having a gas tank.  But that is how I got it home.  But then it didn't have a gas tank at that time.

As for speed.  Well, the law says no faster than 30mph or it will be considered a motorcycle.  It should do about 40 though.  As far as the law is concerned it is still a bicycle and doesn't need a license plate.  We are allowed to use it anywhere a bike can go.  While on a side walk it has to be peddled though.  On the road we have to use a bike lane if there is one.

The motor is a 2 cycle with 2hp.  It gets about 100mpg.  I had the motor on an adult trike for a couple of months and rode it all over the place.  The problem with it was they tip over very easy when you make a sharp turn.  I was afraid that if I ever had to swerve to avoid a dog or something I would wipe out.  So I searched everywhere for a LONG time to find this particular type of bike.  They are not made any longer.  The long wheel base and the springer fork give it a great ride.  Its a stretched beach cruiser.  

Terry

How it looked when I got it.

TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2010 at 4:28am
I forgot to mention that it has a headlight, tail light and turn signals.  The headlight is a 55 watt off road light!  The turn signals and tail light are LED's.  They run off a dirt bike 12v glass mat battery that sets in front of the back tire on the bottom frame.  For the amount of riding I do in the dark the battery will do just fine.  I'll have to charge it over night after using it because there is no charging system on the motor.

Terry
pmjensen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:41am
Very cool,  with different tires it would be a fantastic beach bike for So Padre Is. TX
2011 R-176 Nuestro Pod
2014 Silverado
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 8:54pm
Can you have a frame built to fasten on the front of the jeep?  I have seen pickups and vans hauling bikes on the front.
TerryM View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:55am
The front might work.  I have a winch up there now.  I also have a receiver built into the front bumper. 

Terry
 Post Reply Post Reply