R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

No hot water from either propane or shore power - Event Date: 17 Jul 2022

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Barryb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: No hot water from either propane or shore power
    Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 3:41pm
Hello All

Any tips when no hot water when using either propane or shore? I have water flow. I think I read somewhere that a supply line if open would allow cold and hot water to mix. I am just not sure what line that is.
Thanks
Barry
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:31pm
Make sure your bypass valves are not in the winterized position.  Water will flow in the hot water lines, but doesn't pass through the water heater on the way to the faucets.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
chasl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:34pm
two valves behind the opening above the vacuum in our RPod. remove the panel cover and the hot water heater is accessed, and there are 2 valves, which should both be turned on, in line with the pipe. maybe this will help, I don't know if your RPod is laid out like ours. You should check those valves since those are the water lines and when shut off, water won't go in, or come out of the water heater tank.
cl
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2022 at 4:49pm
If yours has 3 valves:  observe and make sure the top and bottom valves are pointed parallel with the water line below it.  The center valve needs to be perpendicular to the line below it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 7:48am
+1 to all the above posts but to insure that the water heater is filled with water before you try and use the water heater go on the outside of the trailer and open the water heater's outside door and there should be a brass colored pressure relief valve.  Once you have found that make sure the water system is pressurized, either on city water or the water pump is turned on and there is water in the fresh water tank.  Open the pressure relief valve and you have to have water coming out of that valve, before you turn on the water heater.  If you have run the water heater with no water in it you most likely will have to replace the water heater element, because it will have fried itself and will no longer operate.  Through out the summer it is a good habit to check and verify that the water heater has water in it.  Might save some problems.  Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
Barryb125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barryb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:11am
Hello All

Thanks for your tips, problem solved.
poston View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Barryb125

Thanks for your tips, problem solved.

Great news!

Here's your bill for the advice:

What did it turn out to be?

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 12:58pm
+2  Yes, don't keep us in suspense.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Barryb125 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Barryb125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 3:29pm
Hello All, it turns out when I was dewinterizing (my first time) I turned the valve that lets the hot and cold water intake mix together. When I turned that line off, I was able to get hot water.  I have now marked my waterlines.
Thanks 
Barry
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 4:38pm
You probably have already discovered this, but there are at least two switches to turn the electric heat element off and on for your water heater.  Just in case you're not, one is on the water heater on the outside of the trailer, on the left side of the water heater as you face it through the access door, hidden behind the gas line.  The other is the 120VAC breaker/switch for the hot water heater.  A lot of newer trailers have a third switch on the panel that has the light switches, the water pump switch, and the tank level indicators, that glows bright red when the element is turned on.  As JR mentioned, it's easy to burn up the heating element if you turn it on without water in the tank.  It burns up really fast.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply