R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement/repainted fenders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement/repainted fenders
    Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 11:31am
I replaced my fenders with the flat Jeep-style defenders after a blowup.  They were bare aluminum, so I sprayed them with PlastiDip and baked them.  I read PlastiDip adheres well to aluminum, and could be peeled off if you didn't like it.

It did go on easy, and looked pretty good.  But after miles of gravel road, I discovered it's not very impact-resistant:

I resprayed with Raptor 2k aerosol bedliner.  It's expensive, but is supposed to be very tough.  

The downsides in my opinion:
  1. Expensive!
  2. Has built-in hardener you activate before spraying, so it only lasts 60 minutes, limiting the number of coats you can do because of waiting time between coats.
  3. Goes on pretty speckled, unless you can spray from a couple of feet or so.  I worry that it's going to be a dust magnet, which is a bummer since I drove on dirt/gravel a lot.

Here's the after look:

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 12:19pm
I used the spray on bed liner, but the one I used did not require an activator. I'm pleased with the way it has performed so far. I like the fenders. Where did you get them?
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
poston View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote poston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I like the fenders. Where did you get them?

I got them off eBay, but it's been so long, I don't have the link anymore.  There were several sizes available for under $100 as I recall.  Mine are 11W x 33L x 15tall.  I have the wider LT235/75-15 tires, so 11-inch wide was barely enough.

Here's a set from Amazon with diamond plate.  I'd rather buy from Amazon because of the (usually) easy returns.

--
Jim
Virginia City, Nevada
2016 R-pod 180
2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
 Post Reply Post Reply