Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Selling value?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling value?
    Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 8:07pm
Hey, RPoders:

We've got a 2014 R178 in okay shape--although fridge doesn't work/probably needs replacing.  Heating, AC, water heater all work.  New tires.  We removed the antennae and microwave, which can both be replaced.  So, not pristine, and the fridge is an issue.  Since we have to pay for storage and registration, we're thinking of just going back to a truck camper.  We love the living space of the pod, but a truck camper might be more flexible for us.  Anyway, what do you think about pricing?  Is it viable without a working fridge?  Should we replace it first?  The JD powers RV pricing sight suggests about $9k.  I'm thinking that might be high.   Your thoughts and experience are much appreciated.  Thanks!

Scott
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 6:14am
The Dometic 3 way fridges are $1500+ now. I'd let the new owner decide what he or she wants. Often folks just put a cheap dorm fridge in older RVs. Others might want to go all DC electric. I'd suggest putting back the microwave and TV antenna, making the trailer as close to stock as you can without spending $$.

As for pricing that is so dependent on the local market that you can't really set a single price. Seems like us significantly higher in the far West than the Midwest or East. I'd just check RV trader and CL for what's up in your local market. And get it on the market asap before the season is over, otherwise you'll be stuck with it over the winter and by spring there is likely to be a huge glut of used RVs.

Not trying to redirect you away from a truck camper if youve decided on that but have you had one before? If you don't use the truck for hauling stuff and leave it on there its fine but I needed my truck to be a truck and found the camper to be such a PITA to take on and off that I never used it. A trailer is much easier IMHO. If you're going to leave it on all the time anyway then a smaller class B or C RV is more comfortable and readily available in the used market. Just my unsolicited $0.02.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
RoverPod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoverPod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 6:19am
You should subtract at least $1200 for the refrigerator not working. $400 for the microwave being missing. $100 for the antenna being missing. (Plus labor to install these things.) Some people won't care about those things being missing. Others won't want to deal with fixing them themselves.

Having said that, the "value" is whatever someone is willing to pay. You can list it at the value you think is fair and see what kind of offers you get.
2017 F150 XLT SuperCab
2020 rPod 180
Mr. Scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mr. Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 7:43am
Thanks, guys.  Yeah, putting the microwave back in is no biggie.  Might not bother with the antennae.  We've had truck campers before, and you're right, it's always a compromise.  We don't really use our truck as a "truck" for hauling stuff anymore, and the storage/access of the trailer is a small hassle and added expense.  EXCELLENT point about selling asap!  I had not thought of the seasonality of the market, but you're right, of course.  I'll knock off a chunk for sure re. the fridge, etc.

We love aspects of having a trailer--lots of room, park it and use the truck separately, etc., but the drawbacks are real, too, especially for getting in and out of unknown areas/remote camping.  We used to explore back country Nevada, for example, but most of those roads you don't dare go down towing a trailer, and we get about 50% better gas mileage with a pop-up camper on our Tundra, and the recent increase in gas cost is liable to be with us for a long time.  I suppose in a perfect world we'd have both, hah.

We're in the far west, CA/NV border region, fyi, so we'll see what the market is like.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2022 at 12:01pm
Agreed with what everyone else has said. Don't delay getting it on the market not only because of seasonality but also because the RV market has been trending down all summer. Smaller RVs may not feel the impact as bad.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply