R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Camper Door Tough to close 190

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camper Door Tough to close 190
    Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 9:15am
About to take my new 190 out again for the second trip. We have notified that it seems like an excessive amount of force is needed to complete close the front/screen door. I really have to put my weight onto the latch for it to catch. Is this common? Also the screen door doesn’t seem to want to easily separate from the main door. Am I doing something wrong or are there adjustments that can be made?

Thanks in advance!
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 9:53am
Look for Tri-Flow lubricant. Put some of that on the hinges. You will be glad you did. The friction hinges can become too tight. Lubricating really helps. I have found the Tri-Flow to be the best of the ones I have tried.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 9:58am
+1 what StephenH said. Make sure to keep it lubricated, I know it sounds weird to lube a friction hinge. Continuing to force the door will twist the door frame. The door frames are very thin and will torque and separate from the inner door panel. And one more thing to add to the to-do list, make sure the screws on the lock and latch mechanism are tight as well. It will begin to "float" in the door panel and make opening and closing difficult. I have to tighten ours every few trips.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 10:41am
I am wondering if you have put to much torque on the stabilizers, and your pushing the door frame a little out of alignment. If unlevel, or to much force is on stabs, this can happen. Also if you remove the door striker plate, does it get easier? Maybe the alignment is a bit off and you need to file the opening a bit wider. It doesn't sound like a friction hinge problem to me, maybe i'm wrong. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 7:43pm
I’ll have to give that lube a try. Also, It doesn’t seem to open any different while level and the stabilizer jacks up vs having the jacks down. 
Nicholas Palumbo
ReluctantTraveler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ReluctantTraveler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 4:32pm
Another thing I noted that contributes to the door being to tight to open and close is heat from the sun. When the awning is not in use and the summer sun hits that door, I notice a bug difference in that latch binding up.
2019 R-Pod 190
2011 Toyota 4Runner

Be kind to everyone today!

Dennis
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 5:12pm
I didn’t even consider that.

I have made a modification to the striker plate on the door frame and seem to have made a big difference. Also without the striker plate the door opens smoothly and closes without ease. But the door frame is just some thin metal and I can’t see it holding up long without a solid steel striker plate attached to the door.
Nicholas Palumbo
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 9:45pm
On our new trailer with the all glass door, it definitely gets harder when the sun shines on it. I believe it expands more than the laminated door that was on the R-Pod 179 we had. I can barely get it open sometimes when the sun is shining on it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply