R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Winterizing and RPod 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterizing and RPod 190
    Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 10:51am
Good Afternoon Everyone!

Im looking ahead to winterization and trying to figure out what Ill need and what Ill need to do to make sure this is done properly.

Any recommendations for a cover?

What will I need for the camper antifreeze to use in the water lines.

What's the general procedure that you follow?

Thanks in advance!
Nicholas Palumbo
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 12:27pm
Hello Nicholas

I did a quick google search for a video for winterizatuon your 190, so here is the link. I would watch a couple videos, just to see what particular method you wish to use.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DdbM7rEohex4&ved=2ahUKEwj5iafmtNP5AhW9hYkEHeYkA7kQkPEHegQIBBAF&usg=AOvVaw2YbiFnD3YM8GpR1uQ0sQBj

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2022 at 3:12pm
The first year owning our 177 (2011) I used the traditional suck up the RV antifreeze through the water lines but was disappointed the following year as we were put to the task of removing the awful taste of the water as it came out of the lines for drinking.  Finally after a few unsuccessful attempts we were able to remove the antifreeze taste using a concoction of white vinegar, baking soda, and lemon juice.

Not wanting to have to repeat that scenerio the following winter (2012) compressed air was used with 100% better results, no taste in the water lines and instead of using 2 gallons of antifreeze each season only 16 oz. were needed for the 3 traps and a little bit on top of the toilet lid to keep the seal moist throughout the winter.  After draining the HW tank and moving the 3 valves to winterization mode, simply hook up the air nozzle to the pigtail that is located upstream of the 3-way valve (on ours it is located under the sink - yours may be somewhere else).  Open 1 line and then 85 psi is turned on.  It won't take long as soon as the first line is clear of water the second line is opened and then the first line is closed.  Go thru this until you have gone through all your lines and don't forget the toilet. For safety sake the process is repeated.  On our lines it takes about 2 minutes to go through all the lines twice.  After that 5 oz. RV antifreeze is poured into each of the 3 traps and 1 oz. for the toilet.  Has worked well here in northern Michigan for the past 10 years, no leaks or breaks.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2022 at 1:25pm
Not only does it smell and taste bad but in sufficient concentration RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) can be toxic despite what they tell you. I had to dispose of 3 or 4 gallons extra I had leftover from ballasting my tractor tires a few weeks ago and made the mistake of dumping it on my grass. I rinsed it down immediately after but the damage was done. It killed about a 4x5 ft area of lawn. If it can kill grass in a couple of minutes I don't think I'd like to ingest (or let my animals ingest) any either. Compressed air mo bettah.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 5:58pm
Thanks everyone. Not going to lie. I’m a bit intimidated by the process. But first time jitters
Nicholas Palumbo
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2022 at 7:08pm
Hi Nicholas.

You have a lot of good information right here on this site to use as a reference and the video I referred to earlier should show you exactly where everything is that you need to be aware of.

I also use air to winterize but it is a good idea to be familiar with your trailer water system, hence the video as your starting point. It is your exact trailer type.

May I suggest that you make a checklist of what you need to do (either using the trailer anti freeze or using air pressure..you will still need a little trailer system anti freeze). When you have a hard copy of your process, it breaks it down into much easier bites as you go through it.

Carry it with you as you do your dry runs and make notes as to changes you need to make to reflect reality.
Print your final copy to use when winterizing gets real for you.

Again...Do take the time to do several dry walkthroughs of locating everything in your trailer water system before doing anything!

Once you are comfortable that you know your trailer h2o system and the location of the parts that make it up, you should know which way you want to go to prevent freezing damage.

All that said, if you are still leery about winterizing your trailer yourself, you can book your local rv dealer and they will winterize it for you. Cost may vary but 150.00 for peace of mind and good sleep is worth it as well, no one wants a water leak from an improperly winterized water system when spring rolls around again.

"Planning and Preparation Prevents...Poor Performance."

Have a good evening,

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 11:47am
Thank you for the reassurance Andy! After watching the video I feel confident enough that I can succeed after some practice and dry runs. Ill need to get a few tools to make it a bit easier. I purchased new so there was still a bit antifreeze in the line when I went to test and use but luckily after letting the water run for a bit everything cleared nicely and didn't encounter any foul taste.

I definitely will utilize this site and of course google, but i just wanted to know how others ( with a 190) go about the process.

Also unrelated, but the forum has been acting up and despite my preferences saved to notify upon replies, I'm not getting them. Have you experienced this?

Thank you so much,

Nick
Nicholas Palumbo
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
We camp all year round and have never performed a traditional winterization with anti-freeze and central New Mexico can see nights in the single digits and days barely above freezing. 

My disclaimer is this: anti-freeze type winterization is the only one recognized by manufacturers to keep warranty intact. That being said, this is what we do.

Before the a freeze becomes imminent, on our last camping trip in the warm season, we drain our fresh water, remove all of the low point plugs, open all faucets (don't forget the outdoor shower), and run the toilet. Then we drive home. This is important because the drive home shakes all of the water out of the faucets and valves. The first few times we did this, we blew air through the lines when we got home, but nothing ever came out. We also would drain the hot water heater but, again nothing ever came out. The drive home seemed to do a good job of shaking the water out of the system. We have repeated this process religiously during our winter camping adventures for the past 6 years and have never had a single instance of freeze damage.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 7:51pm
gpokluda: Interesting you have not had any issues, must be your water pump is high enough in the system so that water is not trapped at that location.  On our 177, the line out of the pump rises a good 3" before dropping down, an ideal spot for water to get trapped and freeze.  Would not be pretty for the water filter/bowl on the pump. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 1:45pm
Hi jato. Yep that is a valid point. I have no firm explanation other than, by leaving the plugs off the low point drains as well as the fresh water tank while traveling home, combined with having a low point drain very close to the pump on the 179, the motion and vibration of the Rpod going down the highway for a few hours is enough to disperse the water to a point where is poses no significant risk of damage due to freezing.

I might add we learned of this trick from the previous owner of the Starcraft we had before our Rpod. The only exception was that we had to blow some air through the lines to clear out some water (but not much) in the low points of the plumbing. We'll see if this holds true on our new RV when it arrives.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>