R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Roof Solar Mounting Methods?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote K0VQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof Solar Mounting Methods?
    Posted: 02 Sep 2022 at 4:41pm
Hello fellow r-pod folks, we have a 2021 192. Just wondering how many of you have solar panels mounted to your r-pods? Was it done using the 3M VHB heavy duty 4950 double sided mounting tape method or with screws into the roof? Or both? If so, why or why not? I used the 3M VHB tape but every so often I wonder how long that's going to last and if there might be an occasion when it might loosen up and blow off at speed crashing into the cars behind me? Yikes! An accident, insurance issue, etc. So if you did use screws, what type and size were they and did you back butter them with some sealant or goop to keep the leaks out? My installation was a single 200 Watt panel mounted on eight z-brackets right behind the outlet plug above the entrance door, close to the gutter and awning. Thanks for any info or advise on how yours was done. Tracy

Equipment: 2021 R-pod 192
2 - Deep Cycle Flooded Acid Batteries on Tongue
3000 Watt Inverter in front trunk
200 Watt Solar Panel w/ ASC charge controller
Tow Vehicle: 2013 Ford Expedition with 9200 # Tow Package
Andersen WD Hitch
offgrid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2022 at 1:07pm
I didn't install solar on my rpod but have installed hundreds of solar systems. I installed one large system once using VHB tape and many solar modules separated from the roof. That adhesive system is highly dependent on surface preparation and weather conditions when it's applied. Can be a good bond - or not so good. I recommend that you tick with your mechanical fasteners.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply