R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Reviews and General Information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Gladiator TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Gladiator TV
    Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 4:43pm
Any one used a jeep Gladiator PU as a TV?  I see it comes with a tow package and also a Mega Tow package with a different red end ratio.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 3:49am
Depends on which model you're looking at. Most of them appear to be rated at 4000lbs towing with a 9100 lb GCWR. That would be quite marginal for all but perhaps the lightest rpod.

Considering that the truck weighs 4650 or so, if you were say towing a fully loaded midsized rpod (GTW around 3800) you would only have 9100-4650-3850= 650 lbs of capacity in the truck for people, supplies, and gear. And that's assuming that you want to drive around right at Jeep's max ratings.

OTOH there is at least one model with a 6000lb tow rating/11100lb GCWR which would be more than adequate.

Since according to Jeep the engines are good for 6500lbs (diesel) and 7650lbs (gas) the limitation is likely the chassis' ability to manage the weight, not the drivetrain. So when you're at the dealership pull out the manual and read the towing section to see what it says about hitch weight and the use of weight distribution. The devil is in the details on that stuff sometimes.

Do be aware that Jeep's overall track record for reliability has not been stellar, the brand generally ranks near the bottom in this area. Just something to consider.

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 2:26pm
I think you are right.  Cool looking rig, tho.
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2022 at 4:19pm
Agreed. I had a 53 Willys truck back in the 70's. Cool ride, even then. Wish I still had it...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 7:41pm
Over the years, you tend to notice what the most popular TVs are and really notice those that are absent from campgrounds and highways. From my completely non-scientific observations, the top TV for bumper pulls the size of an Rpod is the Ford F150 hands down. Next up would be the Toyota Tundra. Silverados and Titans would follow. We almost never see Rams pulling anything. 

In the mid-size category Nissan Frontiers seem to be the most popular. This weekend the only mid-size trucks in the campground were Nissan Frontiers, four of them. Tacomas are probably second but far and few between although they seem to be the choice for overland setups with roof top tents or pulling smaller offroad tear drops. Once in a while I'll see the GMC/Chevy Canyon/Colorado towing. I can honestly say I have never seen, or can remember seeing, a Ford Ranger or Jeep Gladiator towing anything.

Just my observations. Not meant to offend anybody. I'm sure there is super scientific satellite data out there that proves my observations wrong.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Larry-D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Larry-D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:38pm
Pulling a 172 with a Willys edition Gladiator gas engine so far works great mileage reduces though.  I don't need a weight distribution hitch, the Jeep drops to a level position and have had no problems w/o a sway bar.  The Jeep has an anti-sway system built in.  The Jeep has the regular tow package.  You'll have to add the brake controller if a factory one is not installed.  The harness for the controller from Jeep or aftermarket is already under the dash on the driver's side.
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:01am
Just because it's "level" does not mean it's safe. Without a WDH, the weight on your front (steering) tires is reduced and you may not have the control you think you have. We use a WDH with our F150, andf even though we have towed it easily without the WDH, we found that the change in fore/aft attitude really messed up the aim of the headlights.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:35am
+1 to GlueGuy.

Also, for longer trips, it helps with steering fatigue since your front wheels are much more weighted on the pavement and tend not to drift around as much.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 4:37am
[QUOTE=Larry-D]
Pulling a 172 with a Willys edition Gladiator gas engine so far works great mileage reduces though.  I don't need a weight distribution hitch, the Jeep drops to a level position and have had no problems w/o a sway bar.  The Jeep has an anti-sway system built in.  The Jeep has the regular tow package. [/QUOTE

Perhaps some misinformation here.

As others have said, the purpose of a wdh is not to level the tow vehicle, it's to put back weight on the front (steering) axle to improve handing, and to reduce load on the rear axle.

The Jeeps sway control feature performs a function unrelated to managing trailer sway. It's there to stiffen the front suspension against rocking. Trailer sway control reduces the tendency of the trailer to sway side to side, a totally different motion and potentially very dangerous.

The 4000 lb rated Gladiator is probably ok for a small rpod like the 172 as long as you travel light. But I do agree with the other posts, add a wdh (with sway control). This is optional with a heavier tow vehicle like a full size pickup, but with a more borderline TV like a compact truck or midsized SUV I would highly recommend it.

Of course everyone is free to do what they want as long as they stay within their manufacturers' load limitations.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 9:42am
+1 to what everyone else has stated. We chose to not use a WDH  and go with a Husky antisway bar alone for our first several months of towing even though the dealership strongly recommended a WDH. While our rig was level, we did still experience wandering and vague steering especially in windy and rough road conditions. After reading feedback on this and other forums, we decided to use a WDH and went with a Fastway E2 the difference was noticeable right away. I highly recommend a WDH.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>