This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My 5309 mile trip over 29 days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 5309 mile trip over 29 days
    Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 11:53am
After reading Captain Kidd's breakdown on his recent trip I thought to do a similar breakdown over our last trip which just ended yesterday.

Length of trip: 29 days
Total miles: 5309
Total gas cost: $ 1670 (highest was $ 6.10 for 88 octane at a station in Jacob Lake, 45 miles north of North Rim, Grand Canyon).
Total camping cost: $ 718
Miscellaneous costs: $ 1206  We had a breakdown at Jacob Lake, CO.  A rock had punctured a hole in our oil filter.  A mechanic from Kanab, Utah (45+ miles one way) came 2x to first isolate the issue and then 2nd to get needed parts (1 new oil filter, 2.5 quarts of synthetic 5w20 oil and 3 cans of brake clean) cost $ 440, yes pricey, but it could have been a lot worse like a blown engine had I decided to travel further.
fuel cost per mile:  at 13.2 miles/gallon  31 cents/mile
food purchases: $ 422
Total expenditures for trip: $ 4016
cost/day: $ 138.48
states visited: 9
total R-Pods seen: 6  This surprised me as r-pods seemed to be nearly non existent on this trip.  4 were seen as we traveled on the road.  Only once did we have fellow podders with us at a campground and they were both at Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP in Colorado, we were all only a few campsites apart so we called it a mini rpod rally!

Highlights of the trip:  all the hikes taken inside Rocky Mtn. NP while we were there for 6 days.  Rafting down the Arkansas River in Buena Vista, CO.  Hiking at both the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, CO and the 4 days while at the North Rim, Grand Canyon, AZ.  The Ranger at the park told us only 10% of the 4.5 million visitors at Grand Canyon visit the North Rim.  It is remote yes, but the sights are so spectacular as well as the hiking and trails to see all this beauty.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:08pm
Sounds like you had a great trip.  
CAPTKIDD
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 12:16pm
Thanks Captain,

Yes we did.  Interesting that we had sun all day long except for 2 days while in North Rim, Grand Canyon.  When we left North Rim it was only 39 but three days later while in Grand Island Nebraska it was a 'warm' 99 in the shade.  That was one day it would have been nice to have A/C, which we don't in our 177.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2022 at 2:34pm
I left Chico (northern CA last May 1 and got back to Chico on July 27.  Drove all around the USA and a lot of Canada.  Went as far south as Key West and as far north as Prudhoe Bay Alaska.  Had mostly sunny weather but had probably 24 days of rain.  Drove a total of 19,024 miles and spent a total of $20,204.  

Planning another road trip probably summer of 2024 to hit the other 17 states I didn't get this time.
CAPTKIDD
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 6:55am
Wow! Captkidd, that sounds like a wonderful trip.  What was the breakdown of your expenses.  I imagine fuel was a major part of the cost, especially since gasoline was so pricey at that time.  I was planning a from the east coast to CA to visit my kids in the Bay Area, but the fuel costs were so high, I ended up flying instead.  (My son and daughter-in-law are Chico State grads.)
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
CAPTKIDD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote CAPTKIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2022 at 10:31am
total gas cost 5,281.57.  cheapest 3.89 in Port Lavaca, TX.  most expensive 7.89 in Prudhoe Bay, AK

Total miscellaneous 3,496.37
Total camping cost 6,975.37
Total cost per day 232.20
Total cost per mile 1.06
Total countries visited 2
total states visited 23
Total Canadian provinces visited 8

My three future road trips planned are:
1.  back up into British Columbia to Williams Lake, Bella Coola on highway 20, last time I was there was 1970. Vancouver Island,
2.  The other 17 states I didn't go to this time.
3. Visalia, CA and over Sherman Pass to hwy 395.  This is the route my great grandfather took in 1855 to gold mine in what is now China Lake naval weapons station.  This also the only pass over the Sierra Nevada mountains I have never been on.
CAPTKIDD
 Post Reply Post Reply