R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New Mattress for Rpod 191

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Mattress for Rpod 191
    Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:48am
My wife & I do not like the mattress in our 2019 191, too many back-aches.
 I am thinking of buying a standard queen foam mattress, about 5-6" thick. It would need cutting down to proper size. I was told that an electric carving knife may be the best way to cut it? Has anyone done this or something similar. 

Jack
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:02am
Just get an "RV Queen" mattress. Way less work.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
poohbill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote poohbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:04am
I haven't tried the carving knife. Have you any shears? We finally did a crude job by making multiple passes with a box cutter after compressing the cut line between plywood and a comfortable straightedge I kneeled on when making the cuts.
2016 179 Gastropod
2017 Ridgeline
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:38am
If you buy a short queen mattress, then it already comes fully enclosed in cloth which makes it much more convenient.  Amazon has a pretty decent collection of RV mattresses.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:23pm
Some things like fine wine improve with age.  OTOH some things like poor, cheap mattresses in rpods remain the same.  Our first mod made after owning our 177 was to change out the mattress.  After 3 sleeps on it, we already noticed how the middle of the mattress totally collapsed - and we found ourselves sleeping on wood.  Replaced it back in June 2011 with an 8" Eurotop short queen, it wasn't cheap at the time but now we find ourselves 11 years later and find the mattress is still just as firm and comfortable as it was when we first got it.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 8:59pm
Just looked at prices, a standard queen foam mattress in nearly 1/2 the price of an RV short Queen.
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 9:00pm
Great idea, I will compress it & use a razor or large pair of shears that I have.
Thanks!
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 5:39am
Check this RV queen size mattress out.  We bought the 6" version 3 years ago and it's one of the most comfortable mattresses I've ever slept on.  For some reason, the 8" version is a little cheaper; the magic of Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTCAY04/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
106G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote 106G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 7:09am
Thanks for the info, that blue link wont one when clicking on it, but when cut & pasted in new browser, it does. That looks like a good deal. And only a $30 premium for the short queen vs standard queen. Not bad! 

(Some of the short queens are double the price, which is why i was going to cut one down to the proper length.)

Jack
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 8:37am
to answer your original question---YES, an electric carving knife is a great tool for cutting foam.  I found one at a yard sale for $5 and it lives in my shop.  I have cut many types and thicknesses of foam with it, including for mattresses in our mountain cabin.

Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>