R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A couple questions about caulking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple questions about caulking
    Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:53am
What type of caulking should be used for vertical (non roof) applications?  If I do roof areas with self leveling, does all the old stuff need to come off, or can I can I just replace sections. And I bought some self leveling in caulking tubes, can I cover large areas by going back and forth with tube caulking, or do I need to get something like a pail of it that I can slather it over a larger seam. Thanks

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 1:32pm
I used ProFlexRV. They sell a fast set as well as self leveling. I went with the fast set so that it would be workable on the vertical applications. Keep some mineral spirits on hand to clean up and tool the caulking. I did remove as much of the old caulking as I could. Used a basic scrapper multitool from Home Depot followed by a good wipe down with denatured alcohol. The ProFlexRV is high adhesion, so if you don't get everything off, it will still stick well. Good luck!
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:32pm
to add one more suggestion-
make sure the scraper is plastic and not metal--not as much chance of scratching/cutting the underlying material.
some caulks can be better removed if you moisten them first with mineral spirits/alcohol or your choice . Read the instructions. then scrape.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 7:26pm
Thanks, Pod People. Softening the caulk is a great idea. Ours was softened up by Rapid Remover when we were removing our old decals and it came off real easy. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
 Post Reply Post Reply