This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny other cat campers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any other cat campers?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 10:43am
I am so glad you asked!  Yes, I have two housecats  Tah (Tahiti) and her brother Bim (Bimini)

I have the RP175 and the RDome.  how do you keep them in and safe?  They are not declawed, so I'm thinking they will make shreeds of the tenting material.  they have toys and scratching rugs. 
they are both older cats and I'm hoping they wil not do that, but...

How do they fare in the mod?  I'm going to take them for a trial run for a couple of days and nights to hopefully get them used to it.

any tips would be appreciated.Ouch

SweetPea Pod
Pawpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 12:34pm
We took them last year in a popup, other than them being cold, which should be better in tha pod, having to take care coming in and out, it went fine. Worst part was the litter box. It took up allot of room. Took us 6 months but finally found a small litter box for them. We clean their loo every morning and some times in the evening so a small will work better. Also we got them some sleeping mats, but I think they will do like last year and use our bed again. Only time they went under the covers. Shows how cold a tent trailer can get.
Ready to pod around!
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2011 at 2:07pm
We took our two cats--Desi and Lucy--when we took ¡Podtástic! out for the first time.  They enjoyed it once they got adjusted to the trailer and all.

Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
BendPod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 2:03pm
Just took our 172 out this weekend for the first trip and with one cat (full time indoor)  - he's diabetic and needs shots 2x a day.  During the day propped up/open the bottom bunk with his tall scratching post and put litter box and his pet bed in there with a curtain screen.  He hung out there all day. At night put the litter box under the dining table so could collapse the bunk for sleep.  He was pretty stressed the first day and night, but did much better the 2nd night.  Will try for a longer trip and see how he does. He did like looking out the pod windows.
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:23am
I wish i could bring my cats .. but I have 5  ... They stay at home waiting for me .. with someone feeding them.
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 12:47pm
We're doing separate vacations at the same time this year (usually we end up offsetting them because of work) and noone will be home to take care of the cat.  I've got a friend who is happy to stop by and feed the little guy, but I'm thinking of bringing him along camping with me and the dog.  The cat is good in the car, and he's content to be on a leash in the backyard at home.  He will be alone in the trailer during the day while the dog and I are off hiking.  Daytime temperatures in the trailer will be fine, 22-24C (we'll be under the trees in Algonquin).

Does anyone have any cat-camping advice?
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 1:27pm
We just got back from a three day weekend with our long haired Siamese. He was content to stay in the pod either on the bed or on the worktop next to the sink where he could look out the window in the 171 -he likes to sleep on hard surfaces. We found a little dog harness (he's a little guy - only 8 lbs) and a 12 foot small dog plastic coated wire lead at Walmart and staked him out every now and then. When he got tired of outside, he asked to be let back in. He didn't seem to mind our being gone in the middle of the day - he sleeps most of the day and becomes active when we get home, anyway. We have a couple of small plastic litter boxes for car use and that was fine by him. He woke us up early to get his treats like he does at home. He seemed to like going for a walk and checking out the other campsites...he slept all the way home on the the fold down arm rest between us in hte front of the Dakota.
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:50pm
siamese are so dependant of their masters . If I could bring them all , I 'll do . But it's impossible.
But I miss them when I'm away .

Do you have a pic of your long haired siamese ? we call this type of cats "Balinais" here.
Podsible Dream View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 4:48pm
Here's our boy - he's an old man now - 12 1/2 years. His sister passed away this spring with jaw cancer, so he is on his own now. She was a typical "apple-head" with the round head, short hair, and slightly crossed blue eyes. Dusty has some traits of the Snowshoe and other long haired Siamese: he likes hard surfaces, sleeps with his head and paws over the edge of something. Except for the long fur he has the same markings as his sister did. The two were the same size - 8 lbs. Their mom was the long hair and dad was a short hair parent. The rest of the litter was short hair. We called him Dusty because as the runt of the litter he scooted around like a little dust ball.

We took some last weekend in the Pod, but the camera has gone walking somewhere...
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
Damour View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:09pm
He's a beautiful boy ! Sorry for the lost of his little sister
Siamese are so special and smart and lovely  lol
Best cats  Hug

I got 4 siamese , traditionnal with short hair : 1 seal point and 1 chocolate point (2 biological sisters), and 2 tortie point. All females ! Girls power lol

Sorry I don't know how to put pics in this forum ..
rp 171 , from Québec with not a good english writing lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>