Forum Home Forum Home > General Camping > Camping with pets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAny other cat campers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any other cat campers?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 5:53pm
We've had them all our time together -a long time :)- and my family got our first bones back in the late fifties when I was a boy! So Siamese have always been part of my life. This guy is a talker, it is like he always has something to say, comment on or complain about. He's a ladies man, won' t spend more than 3 minutes on my lap, but sleeps the evening way on my wife or daughter!

There is a post in the general information area where I asked how to post pictures and got some good help. Check it out. The key is to compress the photos to a smaller size. I use the Windows photo program utility to do that.

Love to see your brood!
Chris and Walt
'10 RP-171 'Free Spirit'
'13 Dodge Durango Crew 5.7 L Hemi V8
blissful View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 8:46pm
Smile
I have 2 cats and they stay inside..not outdoor cats.  I also have a cardboard scratch thing that I got at Petsmart and clip their nails every month.  They do not claw the furniture in Pod or apartment.
It's close quarters but they seem to have a good time.
Blissful
tpierce220 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2011 at 12:21pm
Blissful, last weekend it seemed that there were a lot of cats camping.  We always take our two, the Class C next to us had three, and the trailer next to that one had one.  I think that's the first time that has happened to us the entire year.

Desi loves being outside provided that he's leashed.  He knows that will be the only way he goes out, so he gets excited when he sees it.  Normally, he'll just walk around and investigate and then hop up on the picnic table to lay down next to me.  

Lucy, however, will only go outside to get her quotient of grass and then it's back inside the trailer.

Fortunately, for both, they hate the loud noise of diesel engines to the point that they will both run to the steps of the trailer.  
Adventures with ¡Podtástic!--Life in a Forest River RPod 182G with Tim and Louis and our two cats, Desi and Lucy. Check our website at http://podtastic.info for information on our journeys.
KMyers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:22pm
My spouse and I are wannabes for taking our two kittyboys along.  In fact, they are a major consideration as we proceed through our trailer selection process.  Providing for their needs and our comfort with them aboard is leading us to a larger trailer than we would otherwise need and strengthening our interest in an R Pod over a smaller teardrop or egg.  Our two champion litter kickers seem to need as much square footage (or is it "inchage") for their sandbox as we do.

If we do choose to purchase an R Pod, I claim the moniker "Purr Pod" unless someone else is using it already.
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:46pm
Welcome.  Sounds pawsible....
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Keith-N-Dar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 7:44am
Who was it that had cats turn the burners of the stove on while traveling in their pod? After that I decided never to let our cats in the Pod.
Keith-N-Dar
Boris & Betty (Boston Terriers)
2011 R-Pod 177
2010 Ford F-150
fwunder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2013 at 7:40am
Henry enjoys traveling with us and has logged thousands of miles in the car visiting relatives and vacations. We take him with us mainly because of his need for daily meds and he does seem to enjoy it and us him. His introduction to our new 178 was a big success.

The only problem is he uses sooo much fresh water when he flushes!! Confused

SaskaPods View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 7:29am
Our cat, Tango, has been camping with us for years in our larger camper.  (We cut a hole into the front pass-through where we store her litter box.)   We haven't taken her in our Pod.  She dislikes the drive, but loves the camping once we get there.

We trained her at home to be on a leash outside and we always kept her on a leash when camping, especially when she was younger and whenever we were in new campgrounds.    Over the years she has managed to wriggle out of her leash or sneak out of the camper on numerous occasions, and she has always managed to return to the camper, sometimes leaving "gifts" for us in the campsite (she also has learned to hunt while on the leash and has snagged numerous mice and voles).

My advice is to leash train your cat at home and then try a very short term trip with her not too far from home.  Be super cautious if you are visiting bear country, as a cat on a leash would be easy prey and be aware that a LOT of people camp with dogs and not all of them are considerate about keeping their dogs on a leash, so potential run-ins there.

In early spring, when the camper comes out, she sits on the outside step as if to say, "OK - I'm ready, let's get this show on the road and let's get camping."

Ray, Annette & Tango the Cat
2013 Ford Escape
2010 rpod 173
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 12:13pm
Love the 2nd pic!
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Capt. Irk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 3:43pm
The first time I took my cat camping, I was tent camping in Lake Tahoe. It was also a 9-hour drive from home. My sisters warned that I would either lose him or break him. The cat was leash trained and I kept him on a 20' rope tied down. He would hunt june-bugs until 1am and then squeeze into the tent & snuggle in. When I got the R*Pod, I brought him inside and he settled into a corner cushion as if to say, "Well...when are we going?"  I plan on taking him on a short weekend trip sometime this summer. I've got to think of a fun place he'll like - with bugs, maybe.
2013 176HRE / 2017 Ram 1500
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>