R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Fridge on when driving??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote paulpiastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fridge on when driving??
    Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 2:27pm
A dumb question-when the fridge in my rPod 192 is turned to "auto" and I unplug from shore power, does it switch to battery or gas while driving?? I would assume using the gas would be dangerous---I get a continuous beep when I travel however the food seems to stay cold in the fridge--can someone explain this??  Thank you.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm
Use of propane while traveling isn't necessarily dangerous. Before our refrigerator died and I replaced it with an AC/DC model, I used propane while driving with no issues. I did put bug screens on the vents to keep wasps from building nests in the burner area (had that happen when we first bought the RPod). As to why it is beeping, you might wish to check to see if your refrigerator is operating on propane or battery. The beeping could be low battery or it could be that the flame failed to light. Do you have the propane turned on or off when you are on the road?

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 6:46pm
+1 to Stephen H.  We have operated our Dometic fridge on propane for 12 years now on our 177.  Have traveled over 43,000 miles and no issues.  In fact the only time it isn't on propane are the few times when we find a campsite that offers electric.

Also check your onboard battery (12v) or batteries (if you have a pair of 6v).  The motherboard needs 12v power to function correctly.  If your battery is low (below 12.1v or thereabout) it will cause the beeping.  Hopefully you have a multitestor or voltmeter.  Fully charged at rest the reading will be 12.72 volts, if at 50% (you want to charge your battery if it gets to this point) 12.2v.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2022 at 9:50pm
Like the others have said, I run my fridge almost exclusively on propane. Its very efficient and works well. Not so on 12v power, it runs the battery down quickly. So when I unplug from shore power, I always switch it to propane and let it run that way when travelling. 
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:23am
We also use propane almost exclusively and leave it on while driving.
One additional cause of a beeping refrig is when the door is not completely closed.  the beeping may be a door signal.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 12:58pm
I ran my fridge on 12V while on the road, not because I was concerned about propane safety but because it saves on propane and the tow vehicle alternator kept the batteries charged just fine. Also, I frequently passed through the Norfolk bridge tunnel, one of the several tunnels in the country that bans propane use.  Just remember to switch over to propane if you stop for more than a few minutes or your trailer battery will discharge rapidly. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
paulpiastro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote paulpiastro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 4:31pm
THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED TO MY "DUMB QUESTION" IT VERIFIED WHAT I WAS THINKING AND GIVES ME SOME PEACE OF MIND WHILE TRAVELLING!!! HAVE A GREAT YEAR 'ON THE ROAD'!!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 12:01pm
We also run the fridge on 12V. OK for us because our F150 turns off the 12V to the trailer when the engine is off. We switch to propane when we get to the final destination. We know a lot of people who just leave it on propane all the time, but for us, it's better to not have to think about it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
LongRanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote LongRanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 10:46am
Was the F150 feature something you added on? I've got a 2017 F150 and I'm wondering if mine does that. Last time we took out the RP190 I ran the fridge on battery and by the time we got to our destination (6 hours away) our fridge was beeping and the battery was low.

I don't know if I've got a problem with the truck or the RP190.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 6:37pm
From what I understand, there may be a fuse that needs to be inserted in the fuse block for the connector to supply power to the trailer. Check your truck's owner's manual for details.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>