R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Winterization questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winterization questions
    Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:19pm
Hi folks! Winterizing our r-pod 176 for the first time this year, and I've read through I think all the winterization questions on the forum, but I'm still left with a couple questions.

Based on what I've read here, I'm doing the blowout method with an air compressor at around 30 psi through the city water connection, and I've already done most of it, but a couple areas I was uncertain about are the water heater and the water pump. The first thing I did was fully drain the water heater and replace the anode rod. And then blew out the rest of the lines one at a time, and finally the low point drain valves. I did not bypass the water heater at any point, but I'm not sure if I should have.

1. Do I need to do anything specific to winterize the water pump itself?
2. Do I need to do anything extra other than draining the water heater to winterize that?
3. Should I bypass the water heater, either as part of the process or leave it bypassed? Does that matter?

Thanks!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2022 at 11:46pm
Double-check the water heater tank to be sure it is empty. You may have pushed some water in there since it wasn't bypassed.

If all the water lines are drained (don't forget the toilet valve), the fresh water tank and the water heater tanks have been drained, and you have run the pump to be sure no water is trapped in the pump (should just be pumping air), then the last step is to add RV antifreeze to all the traps (kitchen and bathroom sinks, shower drain, and toilet. Be sure you checked the outside shower or spray port, depending on which one your RPod has. It is out of sight and out of mind, but it can have water there as well.

If you are going to use the winterizing valve to pump antifreeze through the water lines, then definitely bypass the water heater. If you are not going to pump it through, then it is optional since the lines are already empty. You may also wish to remove the strainer bowl to make sure it is empty. It is also a good time to clean any construction residue or other crud out of the strainer.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2022 at 10:37am
In the future if you first bypass the HW tank and drain, the blow out process will go much quicker.  I use 85 psi (always leave one valve open) and go through all the lines 2x, including the toilet, in less than 2 minutes. I used to check the strainer, which Stephen H smartly advises, but after doing this a few times after the above process and finding not even a drop of water inside, that is skipped.  Best to check as with using a lower pressure, it is possible not all the water was pushed out. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
billyingolden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote billyingolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 5:36pm
Thanks y'all! Just blew out all the lines for the second time (including outdoor shower and toilet) and there was just a bit of water left, but seems like now things are in pretty good shape. Also checked the water heater under pressure and it was empty. And turned on the water pump, and nothing came out so it seems like that's empty as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by the strainer basket, can you share what that is and where it is?
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2022 at 5:55pm
On the inlet side of the water pump there is a small bowl that unscrews, inside of that is a screen (or strainer basket) that may have some crud or water in it.  Simply remove, clean if necessary, and screw back in. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply