Topic ClosedMI to UT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: MI to UT
    Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 3:00pm
SWBMO and I are planning a May trip from MI to UT and back. We're thinking we'll take 70 west to UT and then return on 90. Haven't decided whether to take the Eisenhower Tunnel or the Loveland Pass over the mountains.  We're planning on taking the whole month.

Any advice or recommendations of things to see or do along those routes are welcome.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2011 at 12:38pm
Sounds like a neat trip.  I can not wait for the time when I can take off for long periods of time and see the country.  Guess I will have to live it by reading your blogs??
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 7:55am
http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/sego.htm
If you are interested in pictographs and petroglyphs, this is a fantastic, easy side trip. Take the Thompson Springs exit off I-70 (1st exit . . . 40 miles or so in . . .going west into Utah from Colorado, I took the tunnel, not the pass this trip). Go north through the town (no services, about 15 rusted trailers) five miles up the canyon to one interesting/beautiful site. It is a gravel road, but fairly smooth. It will feel like you are going to nowhere, but it is well worth the time. There are large panels of drawings and carvings on both sides of the road. We saw only one other family, in a 5th wheel, at the site.  Enjoy . . .we did this trip last September, ending at Zion NP, from Kansas City. Big smile

Tom
Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:54am
Excellent info, just the sort of thing we're looking for.

Thanks, keep the great ideas coming!
DocTom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:36pm

Home from work and the gym and have a little more time:

If you like history, and you are travelling through the Kansas City area you might enjoy the National World War One Museum, the only museum in the country dedicated to that war, http://www.theworldwar.org/s/110/new/index_community.aspx

Also interesting in the area is the Truman Library and Museum, and the Truman home in Independence, MO.

http://www.trumanlibrary.org/  and  http://www.visitindependence.com/  for many interesting sites in Independence.

Another nice stop in central Missouri (3 miles off I-70) is the town of Rocheport, not for history, but for the Missouri river. A trailhead for the KATY trail there makes a great place to get out and stretch with a little walk along the river on the trail. Bike rentals are also available at a shop by the trail. There is a great (moderately expensive) restaurant and winery overlooking the river just at the edge of town called Les Bourgouis. They have a store on the highway that sells their wine, but go on to town for the restaurant.  http://www.missouriwine.com/Blufftop-Bistro.php

Most people thing going across Kansas is pretty boring, but I find the Flint Hills area has a beauty that is quite unique. You will drive through many miles of the Flint Hills in the Manhattan, Kansas area. Toward the western part of the state, just past Oakley is a place called “The World’s Largest Prairie Dog”. I honestly enjoy stopping there as it is a hold out “tourist trap” from the 50’s and 60’s times, and brings back fond memories of travelling with my parents. They honestly do have a six legged cow, a wire cage full of rattlesnakes, and several other oddities in their petting zoo (don’t try to pet the snakes. lol) area. In Topeka, Lake Shawnee is a nice place, just a couple of miles off the interstate, to get out and stretch for a while also. They have a campground/RV park at the lake that I believe is operated by the city parks department. I haven’t stayed there, but have walked and biked by it several times while visiting Topeka.

A couple of things that might be missed in driving through the western half of Colorado: Glenwood Springs has a vintage sulfur spring and pool, several good restaurants, and a great biking trail (16 miles) along the Colorado River by the interstate. I have rented mountain bikes there and done that. You would think that the interstate being so close would be noisy, but it is hardly noticed, and the sounds from the river cover the traffic quite nicely. Next, the Colorado National Monument by Grand Junction is quite beautiful, and well worth the drive around it. Enter on the east side of town, and you will come out on the west and be on your way again.

On and on . . . it seems there is something beautiful and/or interesting everywhere I go, along with wonderful, helpful people. Sounds like a great trip and I know you will enjoy Utah, and your trip home also.

Brush and Floss, It is the Secret of Life!
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by DocTom

"If you are interested in pictographs and petroglyphs..."

Tom

I don't know how far in to Utah you plan on going, but there's also an interesting petroglyph site called Parowan Gap near Cedar City, Ut. It's not too far from I-15 west of Parowan (which is just to the north of Cedar City).  There is no shortage of things to see and do in Southern Utah. I loved it there when I was going to school. Go Thunderbirds!!

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
HuronSailor View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 9:42am
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. We've been pretty busy, and will continue to be until the first of next month, then we start planning in earnest.

I would definitely like to see the petroglyphs. Funny about the "tourist trap," may have to stop there as well.

We have a place in the upper peninsula of MI called "Da Yooper Tourist Trap & Museum." Very tongue-in-cheek place featuring "Big Gus," the world's largest working chainsaw, and two flushers, in other words, not an ordinary one-holer.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 5:07pm
I just thought I'd throw in that I'm following along with this thread.  An I-90 trip to Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, and beyond is rolling around in my head. 
 Post Reply Post Reply