R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Brake Upgrade Path?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Brake Upgrade Path?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 3:00am
I just came across this product on the 'Zon. I never liked or trusted the electric brakes on the rpod. I do really like the surge brakes on my horse trailer, not fussy or grabby like the electric brakes are. They just work  and do so linearly, the harder you apply compression on the tongue by using the TV brakes, the more stopping power they apply.  And no brake controller.  But they are  still old school drum brakes. These are disks  so ought to be better still. Also much less complex and expensive than electric over hydraulic disk systems. 

Don't know anything more about the product and no longer have a travel trailer to install them on but for those of you who do and like me are interested in improving on the crappy  electric drum brakes on their trailers these might be interesting. And you get a nice new unrusted tongue as part of the package, such a deal. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 5:30am
OG, how about posting a link for the product?

Also, one of the capabilities of electric brakes that I have occasionally used over the years is applying the trailer brakes without applying the TV brakes.  I don't see a way this can be done with surge brakes, am I mistaken?

Personally, I'd like to see someone come up with some kind if interface to connect a system of hydraulic disc brakes on the trailer to the braking system on the TV without actually connecting the hydraulic system of the TV to the trailer.  Maybe some kind of slave cylinder connected to the TV's brake system that actuates the trailer's hydraulic brakes independently in the same way the surge pressure does it.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 8:26am
Whups sorry I forgot the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Tie-Down-Engineering-82405-Vented/dp/B009WY4VAK/ref=asc_df_B009WY4VAK/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309807946684&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4290068289011461928&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9008824&hvtargid=pla-571482504903&psc=1

What you're looking for LA are  electric over hydraulic brakes. You still use your brake controller to send a variable voltage to the trailer, where it is converted to a variable pressure which in turn activates disc brakes hydraulically. The problem is it's a complex and expensive system with multiple possible failure points.

I just find that the surge brakes system I have on my horse trailer just works. Great stability and I never need to adjust it or have wires coming off or anything like that. The problem with it is that's is a 1980s European trailer. Last time I got brake shoes for it I had to buy two sets each from two different German suppliers (it's a tandem axle trailer, horses are heavy). Probably got the last ones to be had. So if I ever have to replace them again I'm going to be looking at the Tie Down Eng system or equivalent. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
JR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote JR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 9:31am
Looks like it would work pretty well but I wonder if using a WDH with sway control built-in or sway control arm(s) would impact the usage of this system??  The usage of sway control on R-Pods seem pretty popular.  I use a EZ 600lbs WDH and I don't think that would be compatible with this breaking system.  They would be working against each other or am I trying to read something more into it?
Jay

179/2019
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 4:24pm
Good question. The manual says that some anti sway systems restrict the telescoping of the surge style hitch  which is a no no. Not sure which kinds that would be. I think the friction bars I had would be fine  and the Fastway Equalizer product claims to be compatible  with surge brakes. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply