R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hughes Autoformer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hughes Autoformer
    Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 3:18pm
Hey guys, I'm going to hardwire a Hughes Autoformer into my new surveyor, and I was wondering if anyone uses this unit. I'm looking at putting in the unit that can actually boost the voltage coming into the camper (I assume it must have an internal transformer to create voltage?). I assume it's as easy as making sure each color wire coming in from the umbilical, matches up with the same color wire on the EMS unit. Does anyone use this? It's an EMS system that also can step up voltage for anyone unfamiliar with it. I also wonder about this because if I put this unit behind the wall, I won't be able to see the lights on the box telling me if there is a power issue. Thanks 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 5:13pm
I have the plug-in version, not the hardwire version. Putting it behind a wall is not ideal. You need to see the lights, not just to see if it is boosting the voltage, but to see if there is a wiring issue or if the surge protection is okay or used to the point where it needs to be replaced. If you put a view port in the wall so you can see the lights, that might be an adequate solution.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 5:16pm
We have the plug in model and really like the peace of mind it provides. We ordered a new RV that will be ready in several months which will have the hardwired version you have. Should work out well for you. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 5:29pm
I suppose I could call Etrailer and ask if they know about this. I am ordering the "hardwire kit" from them. I just don't know about not being able to see the unit. The progressive unit has a pendent that tells you whats going on, I had that in my 195, But I want the added protection the Hughs offers, being able to actually step voltage up, or down. 
Hey gpokluda, What unit did you order? 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2022 at 9:15pm
We ordered the HU24FR with the hardwire kit. If there is an updated model when they start the build we will upgrade to that.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote mjlrpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 12:05pm
So I ordered the Hughes Autoformer (HU24FR) to hardwire into my new rig. I also got the hardwire kit (HU54FR). But before I ordered I wrote to Etrailer to ask if the autoformer had anyway of being able to report it's status, like the progressive does with it's pendent you can mount outside the wall. There is nothing, so I had to order a power watchdog (HU77FR) to be able to use it's bluetooth connection to report out the power condition. Sucks I have to spend an extra 190 bucks. Hopefully people complain and they add either a pendant or a bluetooth module. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply