R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Battery capacity running heater

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery capacity running heater
    Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 9:11am
I am about to set out on a 2 day drive with our new RPOD 192.  Can I count on the battery running the fan on the heater over-night?  It is definitely going to be chilly.  I haven't used the trailer without being plugged in yet and I have no instinct for how long I can count on the battery.

I'll pay for hook-ups somewhere if its questionable.
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 11:38am
Lots of variables.. what size battery? State of charge at start? How cold outside? windy? how warm inside?

I would say.. try the first night, be prepared to sleep chilly in case, and then you will know the answer for the 2nd night and can plan accordingly.. Or.. if you have the camper at home, tonight, unplug, turn the heat on, check back in the morning....
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 1:11pm
+1 to furpod's suggestion to do a test run ahead of your trip if possible. Just give yourself time to recharge your battery before leaving.

You have to remember that the furnace and fan shouldn't need to be running all night long, it will cycle as often as your temp setting and the outside ambient temp dictates. Dial it down for the night and bring it up when you get up and shut it off before hitting the road again.

If you haven't done it already, open up all the access panels you can think of to look for any holes in the floor of your trailer. Our 192 had several overly large holes cut through the floor for various water lines etc. Block them off as best you can to stop the air from rushing through and making your heater work more then it might otherwise.

The main culprits were under the shower pan and just in front of the hot water tank (the panel for access is to the right when sitting on the toilet).

I quickly used gorilla tape to overlap and cover the holes to block/stop the cold/hot air from getting in as easily.

I was going to apply some spray insulation from below the floor but found that the screws holding the underbody plastic cardboard were too tight and I didn't want to wreck them taking them out.

Cheers,

Andy
Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
Grinkle192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 1:33pm
Thanks for the replies.  My trailer can't be parked at my house and I'm not comfortable running the heater unattended at the storage facility, so I think I'll need to arrange for hook ups and see what happens if I don't plug in.

A chilly night might lead to a very cold silence during the 2nd day's driving.  ;-)
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 5:46pm
Hi Grinkle,

As already stated, there are many variables to determine how long your battery(s) will last.  If it has been well maintained and not run below 12.2v (50% S.O.C.) before recharging, it should easily last the night.  Each time you do this, keep records (outside temp, charge of battery before using furnace and again the morning after, temp. kept inside pod, outside weather conditions- temp and wind).  The more you do this the more comfortable you will be camping in inclement weather conditions.

I carry two 12v batteries.  The oldest one will turn 12 years old next April and I can go 3 days and 2 nights when night temps are in the low 40's with some outside wind conditions, inside temp is kept at 58-60 overnight so the furnace will run a fair amount.  At the end of the 3rd day the battery will read 12.2v, time to change to the other battery.  The 12yr. old battery is an Interstate, group size 24 deep cycle.  The other battery, same weather conditions can last 3.5 - 4 days, it is a 1.5 year old Trojan T-1275 (golf cart battery) gives 150 aH of service.

I do NOT utilize either solar or generator.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Grinkle192 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grinkle192 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 6:20pm
That's really helpful, Jato - thanks for the detailed response.  The battery hasn't seen any use from me, so unless it was mistreated on the dealer lot it should in good shape.  My solar panel is keeping it charged, as far as I know the battery has never seen a deep discharge.
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 6:39pm
 We will be leaving for Florida and will bring our Mr Buddy propane heater if it gets too cold. We will be camping at Federal campgrounds with no electrical hook up. So to conserve battery we will use the Mr Buddy heater if needed. Walmart sells the one we will be using for about $75.00 and $10.00 for two propane bottles, we will bring four of the 1 Lb bottles with us. We just bought a new battery so hoping to take good care of it and to not discharge it too much. Northern Tool has the heaters on sale for $68.00.That's less than having to buy a new battery.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 6:42pm
A little off topic, but can you run the furnace while traveling; maybe turn it on before arrival at destination?  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 7:19pm
If you have a healthy fully charged battery then you should be  get through the night ok. The furnace uses about 3 amps IIRC. So in 8 hours that's 24 amp hours, 1/4 of the typical RV 100 amp hour battery's capacity. And that's assuming the heater is running continuously. In reality it will be at a duty cycle of probably half that or less. Just don't run any other significant 12V loads the evening before so you're starting  full charged. A couple of LED lights for an hour or two is fine.

Worst case scenario, if you leave your tow vehicle connected to the trailer and the battery does run down you can get some charge in it by running the engine. not a great solution but better that freezing.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 8:20am
Originally posted by hogone

A little off topic, but can you run the furnace while traveling; maybe turn it on before arrival at destination?  jon

I suppose you could but going from experience we have arrived at campgrounds or a destination where temps may be in the mid to upper 40's.  As soon as we arrive we turn the furnace on and by the time we are set up (leveling the pod, chalk tires, put stabilizers down, run slide out) which may take 7 or 8 minutes, it is already 60 degrees inside.  The furnace kicks out a lot of btu's for a small area, and as you know, it doesn't take long to bring the temp up inside.  Why waste the propane as long as you can wait 10-15 minutes once you arrive.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>