R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Frames and axels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Scuba Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frames and axels
    Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 5:05pm
Hope this helps others,
I own a 2021 R pod 195. After 1 year I had to have the tongue jack replaced and it fell under the extended warranty. Great

While it was in for that I found out the axel was busted and that also fell under the extended warranty. Great

1 year later "now the unit is 2 years old" I realized there was a crack top left of the door on the outside panel of the unit and a bulge on the top right and the door was becoming more difficult to open.

So I took a look under the unit and the frame under door just behind the axel had a 3 inch crack in it lengthwise and the frame was bending because of this. 

I call r pod warranty and they are aware of the fact that the frame manufacturer "Lippert" put axels on these units that where to small to support the unit. I am in the process of arranging with a transport company to flatbed my unit from NY to Illinois for repairs and Lippert is paying for it.

So far there is no recall but all owners of these units should be aware of this.
Steve
Scuba Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scuba Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 5:14pm
After proofreading this after I posted I wanted to make it clear to other owners, Lippert is paying for the frame, outside panel and inside panel of my unit and covering transportation to and from the facility in Illinois.

But they have not issued a recall.
Steve
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:05pm
Are they going to replace your axle with one that has a heavier weight rating?  Was the original axle rated at 3500 lbs?  Thanks
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
chasl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote chasl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 12:25pm
follow
cl

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scuba Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 3:32pm
I can only assume that they will be replacing the axel with a higher rated one.

They will be replacing my frame as well as the side wall as well as an interior panel 

For all that may be in need of the person I contacted.

Tina Curtis , She is the r pod warranty administrator. tcurtis@foresrriverinc.com. 

Her number574-535-1546 Ext. 37124

I hope this helps others
Steve
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 1:48am
To clarify, the 195 has a 4400 lb rated axle. That was what was put on it to begin with and that's what you'll have when you get it back.  IOW your axle and gross trailer weight ratings wont change. What FR is really saying is that Lippert's original axle wasn't really capable of handling 4400 lbs, and now they will (hopefully) be replacing it with one that is.

However, from the way you are describing the damage I don't believe that the failure was in the axle itself. The damage was quite obviously a frame failure. That could well be related to the design of the frame to axle attachment, but I doubt that the axle itself is to blame, or it would be bent. That typically shows up either as one side of the trailer being lower than the other, or one both wheels being de-cambered (wheel tilted inward at the top). 

I suppose it could be that the torsion axle is weak and bottoming out, which in turn is applying a high stress the frame. But that would still be indicative of a marginal frame design. Since Lippert manufactures both the frame and the axle it doesn't really matter, they hold the warranty responsibility either way. 

I just wish FR was more forthcoming regarding these issues, they have a  history not only of these types of problems but also of responding to them in this way. They obviously have their customer service folks trained to release the  minimum information possible and are treating each incident on a case by case basis, doubtless to avoid  broader recalls and lawsuits.

If you search the history on this forum you'll find many threads on axle, frame, and axle to frame attachment problems and failures. There are no formal engineering standards for design of these systems in travel trailers. Ive analysed the design for my (former) 179 and it would be generous to call it  marginal. I reinforced mine as have several other members here. FRs responses have been quite varied as well, ranging from too bad it's your problem to yessir we'll fix it for you right away, sir. 

BTW I don't think any of the major budget trailer manufacturers are going to be any different, this seems to be general industry practice. For this reason I won't own another budget travel trailer. My next RV, if I get another one, will be a class B or C unit built on a motor vehicle chassis. Those are generally  built to higher design standards than travel trailers. And I'll get one built by a high quality low volume  coachbuilder using a single or 2 piece fiberglass shell, in an attempt to minimize the other two major complaints folks have with their RVs (poor workmanship and water leaks). Those high quality coaches are really spendy so I will buy used, I'd rather have a well cared for high quality used RV than a brand shiny new piece of junk. Of course no matter what  RVs are high maintenance  

Sorry if my this offends anyone but I've now owned 6 RVs, all types, looked at many others, and spoken with many owners. That is my opinion of the the RV industry at this point. Rant over....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 2:45pm
Agreed, OG. Our 6 year old 179 with 60K+ miles is still in great shape, but with longer trips for us on the horizon, we knew we would be pushing our luck with the Rpod. This is why we decided to order an Escape 5.0TA late last summer. This week will be our final outing with the 179 for our traditional Thanksgiving camping trip to the warm, southern deserts of New Mexico. The day after Christmas, we leave for Chilliwack, B.C. to pickup the 5.0. 
As a short haul camper, you can't beat the Rpod for it small size and towability by just about anything with a motor. It is a great choice for the entry level RVer.  As a long haul traveler, however, we felt we were rolling the dice on any trip over 300 miles. 
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scuba Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 4:00pm
From your words to you know whos ear.

Thanks for the well worded and engineering point in which you looked at it. I never thought of the r pod as a cheap way of camping as being cheaply manufactured.
Steve
David and Danette View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 6:57pm
  Camper specifications are strange to me they make no sense. Our Gulf Stream 19BFD Vista Cruiser Has a dry weight of 3,410 lbs. hitch weight 480 lbs. Net caring capacity 1,550 lbs and it has a 4,000 lb axle that is on the label of the axle. If you do the math it makes no sense and when I called the manufacturer they said the wheel hubs can carry more weight. I was concerned about it but I never found anything on the internet of the Vista Cruiser's or Vintage Cruiser's having an axle failure so i just hope and trust the axle never breaks.
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

Post Options Post Options   Quote Scuba Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 7:04pm
I guess without much oversight the frame manufacturers can put whatever axel they like.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>