R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Getting a used Rpod, major things to inspect?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting a used Rpod, major things to inspect?
    Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 12:15am
Hey guys, 

First time poster here. 

I am finally getting close to buying a 2016 Rpod 178 from some one, and would like to inspect it myself. The seller is retired and seems genuine.

The Rpod has been winterized and stored outside (sub-zero Celsius temp as it’s in Alberta Canada), and seller has agreed to tow it to my place since I don’t have everything set up with my SUV yet. I understand this is not the ideal situation to buy a used trailer privately since there are many things I won't be able to test out but to trust the seller, such as water heater etc. 

I am a DIYer and look after many things around the house and for the car, so I won’t be caring about small things too much, but still I want to make sure the Rpod is in good condition overall, and here is a list of things I have in mind: 

Externally:

1) Storage area water damage, gonna (feel it personally and use a moisture detector). 

2) Roof from a ladder, and also underbelly, check for any potential side wall and panel separation? 

3) Window and door seals 

4) Stabilizer jack and hitch etc. 

5) Slide-out (seller did disclose a push from outside might be needed to retract)

6) Signal lights

7) Rim, tires and brakes

Internally

8) Furnace and AC (not sure if can be tested in cold winter here)

9) Sink and toilet. (pour water down the sink and toilet to see if any leaks, will refill with anti-freeze afterwards)

10) Fridge (propane and shore power)/Stove/Microwave

11) Lights, outlets etc. 

12) Ceiling and floor water damage

13) TV and stereo (low priority, don't care much)

14) cabinets and beds. (again low priority if easy fix)

Do you guys have any suggestions? 

Thanks a lot. 

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 8:36am
That is a pretty good list.  Too bad you are doing this during winter as warmer temps would make it easier to check out everything, including your water supply lines.  However by using compressed air (install nozzle at the blow out line which is downstream from the 2 way valve under the sink) you can go 25-30 psi and check for leaks.  Pressurize the water system and listen for any air escaping.  Remember to check the toilet as well.  Any discolored wood, like in the storage areas is a sign of water leakage from the outside, have a good L.E.D. flashlight to check those areas.  Check the tires to see if they are straight up and down, not toed in or out, indicating bent axle.  You can certainly run the furnace and A/C in cold weather, run the furnace for a while to bring the inside temp to 70-75, the furnace will make it toasty inside in a manner of minutes.  After that you can quickly change it over to A/C to see if it functions properly.  Good to check the age of the tires.  You are probably aware of this but a kind reminder is to look at the 4 digit code on the sidewall, example would be 5020 which would indicate the 50th week of the year 2020.  If older than 5 years, replace. 

Hope you don't find anything negative or if so that they are minor repairs.  Best wishes and if purchased welcome the the rpod family.  I have greatly benefited many times on this forum as there are many experienced folk who will great advice and are willing to help and give assistance.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 5:35am
I think you pretty much have it  The top 3 items that would really, really make you regret your purchase are 1) water damage
2) water damage 
3) water damage.

After that it would be structural damage (bent axle or frame, sagging floors/walls). Look closely for signs of those, especially around that slide. Try to determine why it's hanging up. 

You already know to check all the systems and you're a DIY person so you can fix that stuff. None of that are show stoppers but if you find issues they can be good negotiating points, most shoppers are not going to be DIYers so would be taking the trailer to a shop for any repairs. I wouldn't be afraid to deduct for shop parts and labor during negotiations fur any equipment repair issues you find. Consider that an opportunity to save money.

OTOH  first two items are show stoppers.  It's not worth fixing serious structural damage. And did I forget to mention that water damage is a run away item? 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2022 at 11:29am
A couple of months ago, there was a 2018 RPod (don't remember the model) on Craigslist here in Albuquerque for sale as is. It looked like a tree had fallen on it and taco'd the slide side of the unit. They were asking $10K for it and it was listed only a few days.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Kawasaki KLR650
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2022 at 9:52pm
Thanks for the replies, guys. really appreciate that. 

We ended up purchasing the trailer as it was kept in good condition overall and the price is reasonable from where I live, as the previous owner didn't really use it that much.  No sign of damage as I can see. (even used my moisture detector)

There are indeed couple issues we need to address though: 

1) Fiberglass crack, seems pretty new and not all the way, I understand it's best to seal it somehow for now, and then do a proper job later. 

2) Blacks dots on the roof, what is this exactly? 

3) Slide-out: it's acting up a bit, the motor runs but struggles to push out, maybe related the very cold weather here. is there a good guide on how to address this ? 

4) Bathroom fan not on. the lights turns on but the fan doesn't, check the fuse but didn't see any issue.

jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2022 at 7:05am
Congratulations on your purchase, welcome to the 'family.'

1) for a very temporary fix you could simply get some heavy duty duct tape to cover that crack.
2) Difficult to ascertain the black dots unless physically there, could be that this unit was parked under a tree, sap dropped and this is the mold growing over the sap.  Use a clay bar (auto detailers use this) to see if it will remove these 'impurities.'  Once/year I go over my 177 with a clay bar to remove all impurities on the paint, leaves a baby butt smooth finish, after that it will get a once/year MeGuiar's coat of polish/wax.
4) Open the fan so the cover is in the 'up' position.  Grab a ladder and get up to where you can access and see the fan from outside on the roof (not too difficult).  Note the plunger that goes up and down when the lid is opened/shut.  It is likely dirty and stuck in the down position.  With your fingers pull the plunger up and the fan will turn on.  After that get a good silicone lubricant or penetrant and spray on (avoid wd-40) and move the plunger up and down several times to move the material thoroughly.

God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 1:02am
Thank you for the reply. 

For the crack, I am looking at some fiberglass crack repair kit atm. 
I'll try the clay bar trick to see if it does anything to the black dots. 
For the fan, now it works with opening the cover (didn't know that apparently).

There is a more to the slide-out I am trying to find out, will likely start a new thread. 

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 4:36am
Probably the black spots are just some mold. Try cleaning with diluted bleach, rinse immediately.

For the crack, you'll likely need to stop drill it at both ends or it will continue to propagate. Do that before resealing. Also, try to find a flexible epoxy for the repair  or use something like Dicor. Anything brittle will just crack again, obviously there is some movement going on there which is causing the cracking. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 10:50am
The crack might be just gel coat. I think I would lightly sand the spot to see how deep it goes. If it does not extend into the fiberglass, then you can get a kit to do a spot repair on the gel coat. The challenge will be getting a color close to the color of the old gel coat. 

If it does extend into the fiberglass, then what OG suggested would be the way to go.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 8:07pm
Good points, guys. 

I'll definitely take a closer look at it, and report back. 

Again appreciated all your help. 
 Post Reply Post Reply