R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Back Up Camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Newbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back Up Camera
    Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 10:25pm

Hi I am new to this forum and need advice.

I want to install a wireless backup camera on my Rpod 180.

I inquired with Forest River and they confirmed all Rpods come pre wired for back up camera.

Has any one done this?

What model of camera should I use.

Please advise.

Thanks

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 7:51am
Did Forest River say what model year the RPods started coming pre-wired for a backup camera? New ones might be, but older models likely are not so wired.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Newbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Newbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 10:11am
I stand corrected. They said all flat back models and i believe Rpod 180 is not one of them. Thanks
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:56pm
I installed one I got from Amazon, Yakry I believe. It was a Bluetooth model that came with a monitor as well. It worked okay but not great. I did like having sight directly behind the trailer. I tapped into the tail light of the Rpod from the inside and routed the wire up the spare tire mount. I made a simple, angle iron bracket to mount the camera. It only worked with the trailer lights on, but that was okay since we drive with the lights on during the day anyway.

Hope that is helpful
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 10:20am
Bluetooth would be a poor choice for a backup camera on a camper. Bluetooth really wasn't built for that kind of range. It's more for things that are less than 12' away or so, and minimal obstructions.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Colt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2022 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by gpokluda

I installed one I got from Amazon, Yakry I believe. It was a Bluetooth model that came with a monitor as well. It worked okay but not great. I did like having sight directly behind the trailer. I tapped into the tail light of the Rpod from the inside and routed the wire up the spare tire mount. I made a simple, angle iron bracket to mount the camera. It only worked with the trailer lights on, but that was okay since we drive with the lights on during the day anyway.

Hope that is helpful

I did almost this exact thing.  I tapped into the license plate light and ran the wire up the spare bracket, with a handy disconnect, in case I need to remove the bracket.  It is great as a rear view mirror, less so as a back-up camera.  I think I got it from Wal-Mart for an acceptable price.  
John
'16 R-Pod 180
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 8:14am
I have one thAT I got a few years ago. Wireless connection but the  Problem is that it shows on my phone, and that is too slow to refresh the picture in a timely manner.  Best is still hand signals from someone who stays in view in the mirror.  Maybe if I HAD a new truck it would show on the dash
Linda&Gino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Linda&Gino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 8:21am
GlueGuy. I went back and looked at the camera I purchased thinking I may have been wrong and it was simply wireless and not Bluetooth, but indeed the package and instructions indicate it is Bluetooth. So even with the limitations of Bluetooth, in our application it worked great. Never had any issues other than the field of vision for the camera was to narrow. I was hoping for something a little more wide angle. But other than that, we have used it without issue for over a year now.

FWIW, Yakry now has "wireless" cameras with a range of 360'. That would truly be a big rig!
gpokluda
2017 Rpod R179 SOLD!
2022 Escape 5.0 TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 EB3.5
Triumph T120 Bonneville
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Linda&Gino

FWIW, Yakry now has "wireless" cameras with a range of 360'. That would truly be a big rig! 

That 360' probably is line of sight. Going through the RV and vehicle you range would be substantially shorter.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Newbe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Newbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2022 at 1:47pm
So what i understand is I make a little bracket to mount the camera above the spare tire and get the connection from the tail lights or the  licence plate lights and I should be using a wireless camera. One question how how high should the camera be? Could I settle for few inches above the spare tire. Or if it has a 360 degree view can I fix it over the licence plate itself.
Thanks again for all the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>