R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cover. Yes or No - Event Date: 21 Dec 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote R Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Cover. Yes or No
    Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 6:59pm
Should we cobver our R Pod during winter storage
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 10:43pm
It depends. Do you have a covered carport, barn, or some place that protects it from the weather? It is capable of going through the winter without being covered if those aren't available, but it is optional. Put a good coat of polish on it before you put it up for the winter and it should be okay. A cover is optional.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 2:49am
My opinion differs a little.  I wouldn't have another non fiberglas RV without keeping it covered. Even the one I have now, which is built like a boat turned upside down, iis at risk of water damage unless I'm very dilligent about window seals and other openings. I don't trust that I can catch everything quickly enough so it too stays  covered  when not in use. 

I looked at many older RVs before buying the one I have now and 90 plus percent of the standard   framed and sheathed ones like rpods  had water damage of some kind. The only ones that didn't were barn or carport  kept. RVs are just waiting their turn  to be rot boxes.  As they age the seams and seals  can open up at any time without you being aware of it.

So keep water off of it if you possibly can, and inspect /reseal at least every 6 months as FR requires in their manual. I'd do it more often, it only takes one undetected leak event to destroy an RV pretty thoroughly.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 5:30am
obviously is a matter of pref with good points mentioned above.  live in the st louis area and have never covered; nor is it parked under any barn/carport etc.  inspect seals/top once a year and so far so good; no water intrusions.  sides looked like new, top/slopes looks sketchy.  i would hate having to pull a cover off everytime; but a barn to park under would be awesome!!  just my thoughts.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
R Pod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote R Pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 7:55am
Thanks everyone
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 9:27am
We cover ours with a big real canvas tarp held in place with bungie cords.  It works quite well.  The canvas is much better than plastic because it is heavy and doesn't blow as easily in the wind.  Also, the cloth stretches and shrinks a bit so it tends to conform to the things on the roof, such as vents, AC, skylights, etc.  It is also much more durable than plastic tarps that usually won't last a season and shed a nasty plastic residue on everything they touch.  This is our second season using it.  I anticipate never needing another before I sell the trailer when we stop using it several years from now.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 9:33am
wish I would of done that fred.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 3:20pm
I recently got a Classic Accessories PermPro cover (~300US where I live) for my 2016 178, which has a pretty good fit, and can access the inside without taking off the entire cover because of the separate door piece. 

Main reason I got it is because of the pretty harsh sunlight here and long winter here in the Rockies. While the interior of my Rpod is in pretty good condition (relatively light usage by previous owners) but the outside looks doesn't look great with gel-coat cracking, discoloration etc. 

Also the PermPro version comes with lifetime warranty compared to the cheaper PolyPro.  
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2022 at 3:55pm
I am fortunate in that we utilize an abandoned horse barn on our 20 acres to store our 177.  Because of that, this 12 year old unit still looks nearly new being out of the sun and elements for the past 10 years when not being used.  The first couple years we still had horses so the 177 had to stay outside year round here in northern Michigan.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2022 at 12:55am
+1 on the use of a heavy canvas tarp rather than plastic. I covered my boat with one when I lived in Hatteras NC.  Believe it or not it withstood two 120 plus mph hurricanes without damage. That's 4x the wind force you get at 60mph. Plastic covers are just  shreds after a Cat 3. Good canvas tarps are not cheap and are heavy so difficult  to deploy and remove, but worth it.  Secure tightly so you don't get flapping which will damage the finish. As LA says they will stretch to conform with irregular shapes. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>