R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Video on RV power sources: shore, battery, solar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Video on RV power sources: shore, battery, solar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video on RV power sources: shore, battery, solar
    Posted: 28 Dec 2022 at 2:51pm
From the Escape site.

https://escapetrailer.com/videos-base-features-and-options/#uael-video-gallery-471615a-4
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 6:04am
A nice general orientation video.

However, I  don't think there's much point for most of us in going beyond a modest 12V system with a couple hundred amphours of battery (either lead acid or Li), 100-200 watts solar, and a small generator.  Possibly a sub 1000 watt inverter if you really think you need it, although pretty much any item you want to run can be obtained and operated more efficiently in 12V form. So there really isn't a need to spend a lot of money for this type of modest power system, even with Li batteries  which have gotten much less expensive.

Unless you want to run your a/c while boondocking and can't or  don't want to run a genny continously.  The a/c load is about 10x everything else put together,  which leads directly to a much larger battery capacity. You can't get enough solar on an RV to run an a/c for longer than maybe 6 to 8 hours, but you can limit generator operation to a few hours a day if your battery bank and generator are large enough. That is what I'm working on doing currently. 

The power levels become high enough that 12V is a liability due to high currents/resistive losses. So I am planning to go to 48V, which is the standard for both off grid homes and small EVs like golf carts, so there is lots of equipment available at that voltage. 48V reduces currents by 4x and resistive losses by 16x, improving efficiency and greatly cutting copper cost and weight. 

There are nice all in one integratex inverter/charger/transfer switch/MPPT controller units now available that are very inexpensive and eliminate a ton of wiring and components. I'm planning to use one of those (3kw), my existing 4kw generator, 280ah (14kwh) Li batteries, and about 800w of solar. I'll use a small 48 to 12 dcdc buck converter for my existing  12v loads. I probably wont install a 12V to 48V boost converter for alternator charging as I doubt I'll be on the road enough to make the small charge current I can get from the alt worthwhile. I can always all one later. 

Overall by using an all in one inverter and building a diy Li battery pack I'm hoping to bring the total conversion cost in under $5k. Most of the $ goes into the batteries of course, but that is what provides the flexibility to postpone generator operation till it's not objectionable. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 1:13pm
I put this link in another post, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEmWZViNs3c&t=1s, but OG, you and Johnny would probably talk for hours comparing notes. He did build his own Li battery bank.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2022 at 11:34am
Yep, that's exactly what I want to do with the prismatic Li cells. Not only is it inexpensive but you can custom fit your battery pack to the space you have available. I like the slide out PV modules and the mini split too.  I'll have to take an hour and watch that whole video. 

Obviously though, Johnny has a much higher budget than I do. I'm not planning to remove any of my existing propane appliances or the existing a/c  unless they  break. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply