Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Ethanol free gasoline

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote David and Danette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ethanol free gasoline
    Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 8:51am
  I have used ethanol free gasoline for many years for all small engines that we have but I have thought that with newer engines perhaps it's not that important. So I thought I would ask others opinions if ethanol free gasoline should still be used for newer small engines. We have bought a new 2500 generator and thought being a new generator maybe the engine will be OK using gasoline with ethanol that times have changed. Thank you
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 10:22am
I don't think anything has changed. The problem with ethanol is that it would rather mix with water than gasoline so when exposed to water it drops the gas and grabs the water, becoming a big mess of unburnable gunk in the bottom of whatever contā¶ainer you have it in. 

Since there's always water in the air if you're not burning the gas up quickly then you'll have the gunk in the fuel tank, carb float bowl, fuel lines  etc. 

If you're running the engine all the time then the ethanol gets cleared through before it can absorb too much water, but if you let it sit, which most small engines do, then it's a mess. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 10:23am
Good day.

I will try to keep this brief, as I have been known to ramble on about small engines and what needs to be done to ensure a longer life.

ALL FUEL for small engines (or any engine that is infrequently used) should be stabilized to prevent fuel breakdown (results in gum and varnish deposits in carburetors, etc). Depending on the quality of the fuel, this can start as soon as a month or two after you bought it.

Fuel that has ethanol must be stabilized with a fuel treatment designed for it as it breaks down (and absorbs moisture while doing it).

Ethanol is junk in my books, but we have to deal with it so it doesn't destroy our small engines!

Use the best grade of fuel you can get and stabilize it right away, run your engine till the carb is empty for short term storage, run the tank empty or drain it and then run it empty for longer storage periods.

I hope this helps. (If you can get gas with no ethanol, keep using it, but still stabilize it!)

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'16 F150 5.0 4X4 w/factory tow pkg
'21 RP192
"If the women don't find you handsome...at least let them find you handy!"
Red-Green
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 12:10pm
All fuel for storage or small engines here, is ethanol free, and treated with PRI-G.
Unless it's for the tractor, then it's treated with PRI-D.
We haven't had a fuel related issue since we started that, about a decade ago.
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:14pm
Excellent to hear you already care for your fuel, so many have no idea that consumer fuel can deteriorate quickly.

I spend quite a bit of time every year, helping people (neighbours, normally...and we just moved to a different province again this spring so have a new ones to help now) clean up their badly running small engine/carb's as they can't figure out what went wrong.

Where we live now in Manitoba only a few stations sell ethanol free gas. It is usually called marine gas as boat motors are especially susceptible to ethanol related damage.

Older boats and motors were not designed for ethanol so engines and rubber fuel lines and seals etc are easily damaged by ethanol as well. My own rule of thumb is any pre 1990's boat motor(and its fuel lines and seals) are most likely not ethanol ready and would need close inspection to confirm before using ethanol containing fuel.

Not quite on topic, but good to know anyways.

Have a good one,

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 2:44pm
From my days in the small engine and motorcycle business, we always told customers to drain fuel if the motor was not going to be used for an extended (two or more months) and also drain the carburetors or run them dry. If they planned to use the motor periodically during that period, but not regularly, then a good fuel stabilizer was needed.

Another tip was to avoid the evil temptation to start and run the motor for a couple of minutes, just to make sure it starts. Doing that causes condensation in the motor and mixed with bi-product from partial combustion could cause pitting in the cylinder walls. If you are going to start a motor, make sure it reaches operating temperature for 5-10 minutes before shutting it down.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 4:24pm
I have been using just plain old unleaded gasoline my whole life (whatever they sell at Walmart, Quick Trip, BP, Phillips, Shell, etc) which I believe is 10% ethanol and 87 octane.  I use it in my lawn equipment, genset, vehicals, chainsaw, pressure/power washer, motorcycles (I do use 93 octane in those), etc. Any of those that may sit for awhile, I put seafoam in the tank, run, and park.  Never had an issue starting them back up, and run just like the day I parked them.  Alot of my equipment is pretty old, including one of my bikes which is a 2009. One year I let my power washer sit for over 2 years, 2nd pull the machine fired up!  Maybe I have been lucky!  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
campman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote campman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2022 at 7:01pm
I would say luck had no part in it, your fuel was stabilized before you left it for 2+ years.

I just sorted out a pressure washer for a contractor working for us finishing our basement. It had sat unused over winter and summer with a full tank of regular unleaded. When he needed it, of course it wouldn't run properly.

I used a new to me product called K100s+ (I tried it out on my F150, which had 140,000 kms and had lost a little of its zip. I treated a tank and it did the trick, the injectors worked as they are supposed to! A wonderful product in my books).

As for the badly running pressure washer, I ran 2 tanks of fuel and K100 additive through it, and it was good as new...it barely ran when it rolled into my garage before Christmas and now it is treated and ready for summer work.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy and Laurie
'21 RP192
Red-Green
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 3:58am
So why worry about ethanol gas and small engine maintenance when most applications you'd want a small engine for you can now  do electrically? 

If you already own a gas powered tool fine but as those get replaced do consider changing them out for electric ones. Easier, quieter, cleaner, and in the long run cheaper. 

At this point almost all my small gas engined tools have been replaced. Chainsaw, weed whacker, pruning  saw, leaf blower, hedge trimmer, push mower, wood splitter. All much better than the gas ones I used to have. My riding mower is electric now too. The only small combustion engines  I have left  are in my chipper and portable generator. The chipper will be next and the generator has been converted to propane which solves the gasoline deposits problems. 

Now on to converting the next size up, my daily driver and farm tractor That I plan to accomplish in 2023. 

I look forward to the day when I don't have any gasoline or diesel around the place at all.  That will take a bit longer for the tow vehicle and RV.

And that leaves my airplane, which I can't see electrifying in my lifetime unfortunately. Aircraft engines are horrible e mantenance headaches and avgas is astronomically expensive but batteries will have to get at least 3 to 4x better in energy density to replace gasoline in aviation. At least avgas doesn't have any ethanol in it, but it does still have plenty of lead.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2022 at 10:11am
Why haven't they eliminated the lead in aviation gasoline?  I sure wouldn't want to live in the glide path of an airport that services planes that use leaded gasoline, especially if I had young children (which thankfully I don't).  We learned about the effects of lead in exhaust fumes on children many years ago via schools by busy roads.  I suspect if the gasoline producers were faced with a deadline of 4 or 5 years to get the lead out of the fuel or shut down, they'd find a way to make unleaded aviation gasoline.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>