This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hello, another new owner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote banjoist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello, another new owner
    Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 1:28pm
Hi folks, I'm located in Central Illinois, am new to RV camping and of course R-Pods. I took ownership of a 2009 RP-173 just last week and I expect I'll be pestering this forum as I move ahead. It's all winterized so I have not done much delving through the thing, but I know 14 years old is pretty old. Even if it does feel pretty sturdy.

Found out about this forum from John Marucci's fantastic site.

More later, I'm sure.

Erich
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 1:39pm
Welcome and congratulations on your "new to you" RP-173. I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories with your RPod. If you already found John's web site, you have done well. He has done some excellent videos.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 3:05pm
Welcome to the board.  We had a 2009 172 and really enjoyed it.  They're great trailers and are easy to maintain and tow.  The systems are simple and straight forward and parts are readily available.  I hope you enjoy your 173 as much as we did our 172.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 3:53pm
Glad to have you here.  Enjoy your 'new' 173.  Our 177 is 2 years newer than your 173 but has been pretty much trouble free; I feel they were pretty well built in the older days.  Regardless, we have been helped many times by the seasoned veterans on this forum over the years.  Am sure you will have similar experiences.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 4:27pm
Welcome Erich. And congrats on getting  an early rpod that's sounds like it's still in good shape. My recommendation, unless it's already stored under cover  is to cover it and then inspect, clean  and rseal all possible leak points as soon as possible. Any older RV is going to subject to leakage due to age  hardening of rubber and plastic parts and sealants. 

Have fun! 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Winterpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Winterpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 5:01pm
Hello all
I’ve been full timing in my 178 since 20014. Had every issue that has been discussed in this forum,and every time you all have helped solve my problems. I wish I could shake your hand and give you a hug this
Place P-Pod owners is the best.,and only social media platform I go to and trust.
Have a great life and GOD BLESS you all
Winter pod
2013 R-Pod 178
2007 Silverato 1500 LT.
Trek Stash 8 29er hard tail
Old Town Kayak
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 5:26pm
Welcome Erich. Congrats on the new-to-you Pod. You'll love the easy nature they present. Enjoy and safe travels.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
banjoist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote banjoist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2023 at 9:08pm
Thanks, and I've been thinking about a cover. What is a good option for a cover for a 173? The ones that I see on Amazon say they work for 171, 172, an some others but the 173 is never listed. In looking at the 2009 brochure it seems as though the door is placed differently on the 173 from all other models.

Anyway, what is a good option for a cover?
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 12:46am
For a temporary cover while youre drying it out I'd just go to my local big box hardware store and pick up a heavy duty tarp big enough to cover it and some bungies. That's what I have over my Chinook right now as I've stripped off all the stuff sticking up on it so I can install solar.

For a permanent winter cover I would get an old school high quality heavy duty canvas tarp. They aren't cheap or 100% waterproof but they're pretty darn water resistant, breathable, and they last much longer and hold up to wind better than anything else. They also stretch and shrink  to conform tightly to the shape  they're covering. Use ropes or bungies to hold them tightly to the trailer. I used one to cover my boat when I lived on the Outer Backs and it held up to multiple 100+ mph hurricanes. Sometimes old technology works best. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2023 at 11:32am
Welcome! I have the Classic Accessories cover for my 172 and like it a lot. If you look online at the floor plans to compare your 173  and my 172 I think you'll see that the door is really close to the same place. There's some extra room in the cover: both forward and aft and in terms of how tightly you strap it on. I think it would work okay. You might call the company and ask.
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>