R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedr-pod gas mileage fix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: r-pod gas mileage fix
    Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:05am
When I ran some airflow simulations on the R-Pod and a couple of tow vehicles (see Fall, 2010
Forum) , not only did the separation distance between the Pod and the TV make a noticeable difference but also the disruption of the airflow caused by the 'relatively' large AC on the roof!
I ran several other simulations using a different 'bread-box' profile and found more disruption
caused by the AC than using a tear-drop profile versus 'an old fashion' squared off design.
Some conclusions: the TV-RPod gap caused a noticeable disruption even when an airfoil was
installed on the TVs roof (the Pod's curved front roof increased the gap compared to a squared off front section); the R-Pod's tear-drop profile did nearly nothing increasing airflow efficiency;
the AC on the roof of the Pod made the most noticeable change in airflow (airfoils on the Pod's rear
were mainly ineffective).
TIDALWAVE
Goose View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 12:33am
After reading up on trailer aerodynamics, one of the best ideas was to lower the front air dam under the front of the TV and then add side skirts along the sides to keep the air from flowing uder the TV. If you added side skirts along the frame of the POD from the hitch all the way to the back, you would force alot of air around the trailer. So much for axle risers though. The air conditioner on the roof creates some drag as I would have to believe that the spare tire set the way that it is creates some drag also. It was said that without the front air dam or side skirts keeping the ground clearance of the TV and the trailer the same would help. Keep the under side as smooth as possible. The greatest amount of drag comes from the turbulance between the TV and the trailer. If we could make the TV and trailer seamless that would end a lot of the problems.
Like rpodcamper says, those that only travel 300 to 500 miles a year the cost would not justify the savings. You would have to do the 2 to 3 thousand cross country trips.                 Goose  Approve
Mother Goose's Caboose..2011 RP171..07 Grand Cherokee
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:49pm
I have played around with different tow vehicles and combinations of items.  i did find an increase when the kayaks were in a v shape on the top of my trail blazer.  I'm now pulling with a dodge ram 1500 and looking to put a cap on it and the kayaks above it.  Will let you know what I Find out.  I don't think an air dam will do much and also if you look at the cost versus the savings you see you will have to tow a bunch of miles before the break even point  
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:35pm

Welcome.  You have touched on the biggest discussion we've had around here.  If you haven't read through it yet, you should look at this thread:

http://www.rpod-owners.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1347&title=gas-mileage

Air dams have been mentioned as a possible fix, but I don't think anyone has done a before-after test to see if they help.  One of the mods here found a slight increase in mpg when he put his kayaks on the roof of his tow vehicle in a V formation.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
semiretired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:22am
  I am a new member who has not bought a r-pod yet. Looking over everybody likes and dislikes poor gas mileage towing seems to be the big complaint. Has anybody looked into the wind deflector kits that semi trucks use. Their are  kits for mounting on the roof of a pick up or suv etc. What I have read the closest to the front of the trailer the better.In my case I have a fiberglass cap and it could be mounted to the rear of the camper cap. Has any one looked into this option. These deflectors are adjustable changing the angle for best results of air flow.
  This deflector is suppose to give about 2 mpg increase. Cost about $350

Any input would be appreciated...thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12