R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tow vehicle ideas needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tow vehicle ideas needed!
    Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 8:58pm
Well, our trusty (but not so effective) 2003 Lexus GX470's engine blew up last week and its $7K to repair it, which I am reluctant to invest in a 20 yr old vehicle with 200k miles. Its been ok, but because of older technology, particularly a 4-spd transmission, its not all that great out here in the west, especially on long hill climbs. 

We're towing a 179, nothing unusual in our load - no generator, no kids, just a lightweight dog and the usual stuff. So we've started the process of looking for a new (to us, anyway) TV. We don't need to drive it much outside of camping trips, but we'd like to find something that is very reliable, will tow well (ie, no lugging up hills), and is ok to drive in town for me and my vertically challenged (5 ft 1 inch) wife.

The conventional wisdom seems to lean towards a Ford F150 with an ecoboost engine, but I don't see many options beyond that. Would appreciate any suggestions from the Rpod Forum collective braintrust. My wife wishes that an EV truck was available but my sense is that its premature to go down that rabbit hole (and I don't want to spend $60K)

So my current thinking is a 150 ecoboost, maybe a 2015 or so with moderate miles (60-80K), but would appreciate any suggestions or ideas. 
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:34pm
You might wish to check out a Ford Ranger 2019 or newer. The 2.3L Ecoboost engine will surprise you. A Chevy Colorado Diesel would be a great choice also. Both will have the loads of torque you need. The Diesel should give you better highway mileage also. We have a 2010 Nissan Frontier. Being naturally aspirated, it does struggle a little out west on those climbs, but it doesn't have the 10 speed transmission that the Ranger has and it isn't turbocharged either. Still, a newer one would likely be okay as would a Toyota Tacoma.

These would likely work well for your "vertically challenged" wife better than a full-sized pickup.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2023 at 9:36pm
Thx for the reply - I will check out the Ranger. A friend's son had a TD Colorado and had nothing but trouble with it. I love diesels, even with the high price of fuel, so will look closer. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 3:09am
I agree that you can't really go electric yet on a tow vehicle unless you don't travel very far to camp. You can have my place on the waitlist for a F150 lightning if you change your mind, when they started at $39k they were a good deal but I'm not spending  55k for one either.  

I wouldn't recommend a diesel these days. Most of the manufacturers are dropping them. With DEF and the high price of ultra low sulfur diesel, and recent efficiency improvements in gassers diesel is  not the cost effective option it used to be for light vehicles. 

Do you really want a pickup truck for your tow vehicle?  Then a midsize truck would be fine. But if youd prefer to stay with an SUV then that's fine too.  Consider getting a newer used Highlander or Pilot. Either are very reliable and will do a great  job for your towing application. and might be more useful than a pickup when not towing. 

Please you truck lovers out there dont get started, I'n not saying there's anything wrong with pickup trucks, just that SUVs are better suited  for many folks. 

Get a vehicle with an OEM 5000 lb tow package or higher. Check the VIN to be sure.  If you purchase from a private party, any  dealership parts dept can verify for you. You should do that for either a midsize pickup or an SUV,  it's possible not all midsize pickups  will have the tow rating you need either.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 4:47am
For 8 years of the past 12 years we towed our 177 with either a 2008 Explorer 4x4 4.0 V-6 (tows 5000 lbs.) or a 2013 (which we still own) Explorer 3.5 V-6 (tows 5500 lbs.) which were quite adequate for the most part.  Mileage on both averaged 12 mpg.  The 177 fully loaded weighed in at 2940 lbs (including 36 gallons of water which is located behind the axle and a tongue weight of 320 lbs.  The combined miles hauling with both Explorer's was just over 24,000 miles over all types of weather conditions and outside of the long climbs over some passes in the Rockies, had no issues.  On those long climbs we would take our time and go a bit slower, who is in a race anyway?  The major reasons for upgrading to a F-150 four years ago was to be able to haul a little more stuff in the tow vehicle and less in the 177 and the comfort level in the seats was better noted when driving long distances at a time.  The '13 Explorer is my wife's favorite, still performs well, gets decent mileage (23-24) and is easy to maneuver and park and only has 156K miles, so should be good for many more years.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 6:21am
I agree with the suggestion of StephenH that a Ford Ranger with a 2.7 ecoboost engine would give you very good service.  We considered a Ranger when we bought our F-150, but wanted a little more interior room [6 passenger capacity instead of 5 and with a roomy back seat area], so we got the full crew cab, but with the 2.7 ecoboost engine.  It is comfortable to drive long distances and the fuel economy is about as good as you can get for a pickup truck.  The ecoboost engine gives you all the torque benefits of a diesel, but without loss of power at high altitudes and the very high fuel cost, plus it burns much cleaner.  We put a camper shell, aka topper, on our F-150 and it essentially functions as a station wagon for purposes of stashing stuff behind the passenger area, except that the volume is much greater.  Usually, we keep the rear seats in the stowed position and I use the rear passenger space to carry my tools or other large things.  We have about 40 cu.ft. of space there and on long trips I've even managed to put 2 bikes in there along with a lot of other stuff.  If you can't use the greater volume of the full size truck, a Ranger would probably be a better choice as it is not as wide or long and is a bit easier to park and maneuver in tight places.  [I have to confess to a bias, however.  I have not had good luck with GMC products and tend to shy away from them.]  

OG's suggestion of a standard SUV is also a good choice.  My kids have Honda Pilots and are real happy with them.  They have the 7 passenger versions.  A friend of mine towed a trailer of rPod size with a Toyota 4Runner and was happy with its power and towing capacity.  As long as you have no plans to exceed the 5K pound towing capacity, an SUV would serve you well.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 8:26am
Originally posted by jato

For 8 years of the past 12 years we towed our 177 with either a 2008 Explorer 4x4 4.0 V-6 (tows 5000 lbs.) or a 2013 (which we still own) Explorer 3.5 V-6 (tows 5500 lbs.) which were quite adequate for the most part.  Mileage on both averaged 12 mpg.  The 177 fully loaded weighed in at 2940 lbs (including 36 gallons of water which is located behind the axle and a tongue weight of 320 lbs.  The combined miles hauling with both Explorer's was just over 24,000 miles over all types of weather conditions and outside of the long climbs over some passes in the Rockies, had no issues.  On those long climbs we would take our time and go a bit slower, who is in a race anyway?  The major reasons for upgrading to a F-150 four years ago was to be able to haul a little more stuff in the tow vehicle and less in the 177 and the comfort level in the seats was better noted when driving long distances at a time.  The '13 Explorer is my wife's favorite, still performs well, gets decent mileage (23-24) and is easy to maneuver and park and only has 156K miles, so should be good for many more years.

Offgrid - I hear you on E150 pricing - while browsing online to see whats out there, I saw a new/used one listed locally for $87K! 

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 8:28am
Thanks for all of your replies - lostagain, we had a Honda Ridgeline before the Lexus and it did the job but just barely. Living in the West, we're almost always climbing hills or just about to. If we were only in the high country occasionally, we'd probably be fine with a 5K towing package, but unless something better comes along, we'll probably go for the larger rig.
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 9:41am
Ford Ranger with tow package: 7,500 lbs tow rating.
Chevy Colorado:  7,000 with 3.6l V6; 7,600 with Duramax Crew Cab.
Nissan Frontier Crew Cab: 6,570 lbs; 6,460 lbs for Crew Cab Long Bed.
Toyota Tacoma Double Cab SR5 4WD: 6,400 lbs

I don't have anything against SUVs. The reason I really like my pickup is that there are things I will put in the bed of the truck that I won't put in the back of an SUV, such as gasoline, generator and such. A cap or even a tonneau cover keeps the contents of the bed dry and secure.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2023 at 9:54am
Tesla just dropped pricing aggressively on its whole product line, so it seems like perhaps the inflated pricing post the Covid shortage on new cars in general and EVs in particular might be ending. Ford may well need to price more  sensibly on the Lightning soon too. Hope so anyway. In the meantime tho lowest cost EV on the market is the Bolt, which is what I'm getting.

Re your need for hill climbing, be sure to separate horsepower from tow rating. They are related but not directly connected. If you didn't like the power output of the Ridgeline then it sounds to me like 5000lbs on the tow rating woukd be fine but you need something with high hp output at higher altitudes. That would suggest something with a turbo might be in order. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>