This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > General non-pod discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

EV experience so far

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EV experience so far
    Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by furpod

Did you look under the hood for a jack on the RV? It's a ford chassis, and an older one.. I had a few, many had the jack under the hood..

My '84 F-150 had the jack under the hood, passenger side, tucked down against the firewall.  Had a 390 V-8 but once you looked at the right place, there it was.  The '94 F-150 Ford got a little more sneaky, hiding it behind the drivers seat against the back wall.  Even on the currently owned '17 F-150 it is tucked behind the back passenger side seat against the back wall.  If you don't have a flashlight, it is easy to miss.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 2:57pm
So a quick trip to a salvage yard solved by spare-less Bolt issue. Picked up a donut spare and and jack/lug wrench kit off a 2014 Cruze furv$80. Fits in the hoke just fine.

Re the Chinook, it's an E350 van chassis with a 460. Everthing is so jammed in there under that tiny hood that I can imagine Ford hiding a jack there. I looked anyway, no joy. I'll keep looking but I'm pretty sure at this point there isn't one.

Anyone have experience with those exhaust inflated air bag jacks? Looks like they would be more stable than a regular jack on an incline. Lighter too.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by offgrid

Anyone have experience with those exhaust inflated air bag jacks? Looks like they would be more stable than a regular jack on an incline. Lighter too.

My son-in-law got one for Christmas. He tried it out in his drive way and it seemed to work fine on his lifted Tacoma.

Pretty sure it won't work on an EV LOL
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:05am

I now think of the Chinook as my anti-EV. 46O V8 vs variable speed ac motor. Lots of stinky bladder inflating exhaust vs none. Plenty of rumble and vibration vs zero, unless GMs pedestrian warning turns on, then the Bolt does sound kinda like my 12V electric tire inflator.

The Chinook weighs 2.5 times the Bolt and consumes more than 11x the energy per mile, but that big V8 only makes about 25% more power than the Bolts tiny variable frequency ac motor. Gotta love the tech advances.

OTOH the Chinook can carry 18x the energy the Bolt can so it has about 60% longer range. Wouldn't want to try a long road trip yet in an electrified Chinook...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:52am
Our cousin's down the hill got a 32 foot Winnebago with a V10. Word is that their cross-country trip required an update to the national debt.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 9:18am
When my parents had their RV (I don't remember the length) with the V10, they got about 6 mpg. Of course, they had everything, including the kitchen sink stowed in it and towed an automobile as well. Filling it up was an experience as it would only accept gasoline at a trickle due to the way the fill pipe was run. It could take more than one pump activation as well because the pump would cut off at a set dollar amount which was $100 if I remember correctly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:31pm
The Chinook has a 37 gallon tank. My plane (and it's a very small 2 seat plane) holds 38 gallons. The difference is avgas is around $6.50 a gallon or higher.

So I've gotten pretty accustomed to spending around $200 at the gas pump...And then doing it again 3 hours later and 500 miles away. That sometimes triggers the credit card fraud watch software.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:11pm
that plane sounds pretty environmentally friendly.....kinda like these activist who preach global warming then jetsetting all over the worldDisapprove.  jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:53pm
Back on the subject of the exhaust inflatable jack bags, I distinctly remember seeing something like that in a JC Whitney catalogue back in the late 80's early 90's. I also remember seeing the canvas pickup truck bed toppers which are all the rage now with the overland crowd. Who would have thought JC Whitney would be the trend setter 40 years later.

Anyway that exhaust lift bag looks like the bomb. If you run a rich fuel mixture, it literally could be a bomb!
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
offgrid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote offgrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 5:38am
Originally posted by hogone

that plane sounds pretty environmentally friendly.....kinda like these activist who preach global warming then jetsetting all over the worldDisapprove.  jon

Actually small airplanes can be extremely energy efficient. Far more efficient than cars. I'll explain but it will take a teeny weeny bit of basic physics.

There will be a quiz at the end (not) so pay attention...

As an example, my plane is over 3x more efficient than my Prius is. How is that? Because of much lower air drag. Drag accounts for most of a cars energy use at highway speed and practically all of an airplanes'.

Drag is measured in square feet of equivalent frontal area (aka CdA), meaning the area of a flat plate that would create the same amount of drag if you pushed it through the air.

The CdA of my Prius is 6.2 square feet. It's about the lowest drag car on the road. In comparison an rpod's CdA is around 30 square feet.

My airplane's CdA is 2.3 square feet, 37% of the Prius and less than 10% of an rpod's. Like a 1x2 ft piece of plywood vs a 4x8 sheet for the rpod and a 2x3 piece for the Prius.

How did the plane designer manage that?   Its waaay more cramped in there than in any car. Plus great attention to detail of every little thing on the plane that creates drag.

And the plane has another big advantage over the Prius. I can fly at around 8000 feet where the air density is only about 77% of sea level. So overall drag effects my plane only around 29% of it's effect on my Prius.

So now that we have that tidbit on drag let's move on to how drag and efficiency are affected by speed.

My plane travels at about 195 mph, compared to the Prius travelling 65 mph. So almost exactly 3x faster (not counting the additional benefit of getting to go point to point rather that having to follow roads).

The problem with going fast is that drag goes up with the 3rd power of speed. The plane is going 3x the speed so that would require 27x the power the Prius does if it had the same CdA and flew at sea level. But since it has 29% of the drag at altitude it "only" needs about 8x the power to overcome drag.

8x the power still sounds terrible but it's only about 2.7x the energy. That's bc energy is power x time and I'm getting there in 1/3 the time.

But I still do have to have an engine with enough power to supply 8x the continuous power of my Prius. That turns out to be a 180 HP engine running at 75% (135 HP) burning 10 gallons of gas per hour, compared to the Prius running at about 17 HP burning around 1.3 gallons per hour.

Bottom line is that even though the plane is more than 3x as efficient, it still only gets about 20 mpg vs the Prius getting 50 mpg, because of the 3x speed difference. Try finding a 200 mph supercar that gets 20 mpg.

So next question is, why don't I just take my time and drive the Prius? To which I answer, why don't you just take your time and walk or ride a bike rather than drive?

The whole point of having motor vehicles is to get where youre going before you die of old age. I got the smallest most efficient plane I could afford that got me the speed and convenience I wanted.

Which leads back to the complaint about so called environmentally conscious VIPs burning up fuel in jets blasting around the planet.

In their defense, those folks' work requires them to travel a lot, and not at driving speeds. I'm sure those guys do virtual meetings when they can, but sometimes there's no substitute for being face to face.

My job required a lot of commercial air travel too. I hated it. The rigamarole at the big airport terminals ofen takes longer than the flight. I won't get on a commercial flight now that I'm retired unless its a dire emergency.

If you fly commercial on your necessary travels then youre actually being quite energy conscious. Commercial jets get about 100 mpg per passenger mile, the same as my Prius and 2.5x what my plane gets, assuming I'm carrying a passenger in each. Amazing considering the jets speed is about 8 or 9x a car's (that's 500-600x the drag power requirement). Jamming hundreds of folks in a long streamlined aluminum tube at 40,000 feet with giant high bypass kerosene burning turbofans does wonders for efficiency.

Bizjets get around 15 to 25 passenger miles per gallon if you fill the seats. Not bad considering the speed but nothing close to commercial jets or efficient cars, or my plane. and I doubt those seats are getting filled very often.

OTOH a bizjet can be a whole lot faster and more convenient door to door than a commercial jet. At the end of the day we all choose to consume energy in transportation because of speed and convenience. Otherwise we could just walk, ride a bike, or sail a boat.

So while I agree that environmentalists who fly in bizjets should suck it up and fly commercial instead, I can certainly sympathize with their not so great choices. We all do it to one degree or another.

Look at us RV folks. A couple in an RV are getting around 15-25 passenger miles per gallon, same as a full bizjet. We could backpack but we choose speed and convenience instead.

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>