R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Short in running lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Blender Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Short in running lights
    Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 5:21pm
I lost my running lights on my 2017 178 R-pod. Cleaning plug contacts did not solve the problem. 

I found the issue with the spoiler and 3 lights above the rear window -- For those who might have the same issue: I went under the R-pod where the green wire (running lights power from the truck) exits the 7-prong cable and goes into bundles of green and green/white wires. There is a convenient wire jumper between two bundles. I cut the jumper and using an ohm meter I tested wires in the bundles for a short (0 ohms) I found that the front and wheel running lights were good/working. But the wire to the rear had 0 ohms when testing between the green wire and ground. I followed the green wire in the green, red, brown wire group to the rear of the trailer. In the corner past the heater, I found another junction/bundle of green and green/white wires. By testing each wire, I found one green/white wire was the issue and when I cut / separated it, all the running lights on the sides and in the rear lights returned to working. 

My short is in the green/white wire circuit which appears powers the 3 running lights in the air spoiler which are not on when all other running lights are. 

Now this where I need help. I traced the green/white wire across the floor and behind the converter where I lost it. The air spoiler is well caulked and screwed into the body. I'm not sure if I take things a part I can fix the issue and not sure if replacing the spoiler is worth the effort. Anyone have this running light problem in the air spoiler and solved it?

Thanks! Bob
Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 7:05pm
Have not had this issue but I do know that when I recaulked the spoiler, I was curious and removed all the screws and removed the spoiler to see what was underneath, all that came out of the shell of our 177 was 2 wires to feed the 3 lights in the spoiler.  It would seem that you could tie into your side running lights and hook up the wires leading to the spoiler and see if that would fire them up, otherwise it could be something as simple as a bad ground for that leg running to the spoiler.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote furpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 7:58am
The lights pop out of the spoiler, pop them out and see if the short is in one of them. You really don't want to remove the spoiler if you don't have to, that is a VERY common leak point. If yours is down and tight.... try not to disturb it.
Blender Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote Blender Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 11:05am
Oh, thank you for this key info. It's a snowy day in Colorado. Cold in the barn, but I was able to observe that the individual lights do pop out. I'm waiting for a warmer day later this week before going up and seeing what is going on. Thanks again, not gonna touch the spoiler.

BUT, I did find my wire short. The green/white wire running from the back corner wire junction goes over the door and then under the water heater and the furnace before going towards the kitchen complex and the up to the roof. I cut the wire in the back and pulled it from under the furnace and found the insulation rubbed to the metal which I suspect when it contacted the furnace housing, it shorted the circuit. I don't know why the truck fuse did not blow. Any thoughts? So, all my other running light are working which is a moral victory. 

Interesting to note the many loose wires running under the furnace. Better would be to have all the wires in a conduit or tied down. I suspect I tugged the running light wire in question when I was doing something and cause it to get squeezed between the wood support of the furnace and the furnace causing a pinch point and the rubbing when traveling or running the furnace.

Bob
2015 Chevy Colorado Z71
2018 178 R-pod Hood River Edition
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:14pm
Glad to hear you found the short.  Good detective work.  Thanks for posting pictures, will certainly be a help to others.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply