R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

TOILET VALVE - Event Date: 27 Mar 2023

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: TOILET VALVE
    Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:42am
I dont think I got my toilet valve blown out good!  Which valve should I get?  Many thanks, Jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 2:53pm
I got this one when the old Dometic valve cracked because of residual water.  Two years later no problems and it works fine.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09P1WXMTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:10pm
Well that is a bummer Jon.

Regardless, on eBay you can get the upgraded valve for Dometic pedal flush RV# 385311641  models 300, 310, and 320 for $ 8.49 and that includes free shipping. 
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 5:41pm
Supposedly the Beech Land valve is able to sustain some freezing that would damage a standard valve.  On the other hand if you are sure to get all the water out, perhaps $10 price difference isn't worth it.  I initially installed our Beech Land replacement valve in the stock Dometic plastic toilet, but later ended up getting a lower Dometic ceramic toilet and used it on the porcelain throne.  I hope I never have to find out if it's really more freeze damage resistant than the OEM valve.  It was a real bummer when it broke on a trip with no parts available.  I kept the OEM valve as a spare, just in case.  Either way you go, good luck in fixing it.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
hogone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote hogone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 5:51am
Are they hard to fix?  Any noteworthy hints!!??  Jon
Jon & Pam
2013 RP177
2010 F150
2017 HD Streetglide
2009 HD Lowrider
CHEESEHEAD
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 6:12am
It's just a matter of disconnecting the hoses, then getting to the screws that hold the valve in place.  Depending on how much space is available, and your abilities as a contortionists, it's a matter of being able to get to the screws that hold the valve in place with a screw driver.  Mine happened to be especially tight for one of the screws and I ended up taking the toilet off the flange.  That worked out well because I discovered that the flange had a crack in it and was in need of replacement.  I put the valve in before remounting the toilet and it was super easy because the access is much better.  It was the same process when I mounted the ceramic toilet.  

The cracked flange issue, I believe, related to the fact that on that particular trailer they use a very tall Dometic toilet that feels a bit like the leaning tower of Pizza when you sit on it.  I was lucky in that when I went to replace the valve, I found that there was also a recall on the toilet and received a new one from Dometic so waited to replace the valve until the new throne arrived.  I had earlier looked at taking the valve out and realized that it was going to be a lot easier to take the toilet off, so I held off until the new toilet arrived.  I believe the flange cracked because the leverage from the tall toilet was just too much for the plastic flange and it cracked at the attachment bolt holes.  The ceramic toilet I mounted solved the leverage problem because it is only about 18" tall, but it is solid as a rock and will not exert any undue force on the flange.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 7:17am
Totally agree with LA, remove the toilet off the flange, makes the task nearly 100% easier.  Haven't had this issue but remember when I purchased the taller Thetford toilet 6 years ago, it was a simple task, the only extra thing needed was to purchase a sharkbite fitting and an additional 6" piece of pex tubing.  Maybe the Thetford is more stout than the Dometic, no problem observed in 'flexing' or wimpiness when sitting on throne.
God's pod
'11 model 177
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2023 at 2:46pm
The Dometic tall toilet felt like it was going to tip over and break.  It creaked and made noises that sounded like plastic fracturing every time someone sat on it.  The recalled version was not properly glued and leaked black water into the enclosed space, accumulating there to the olfactory delight of the users. [dometic-300-toilet-recall] The replacement was just as creaky and top heavy.  

The ceramic toilet is much easier to clean and much more stable.  It was a challenging installation because it needed more rear clearance vis-a-vi the center point of the drain, so I had to cut out part of the wall and inset the toilet.  The advantage to doing that was that I was able to put foam around the part of the toilet at the very back where it went inside the wall space making a very solid installation.  A little bit of seam tape that matched the back wall made the cut out virtually invisible.  i'd post a picture but I don't know how.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Akula1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Akula1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:57pm
Does anyone know which model commode I have in my 2019 RP190?
2019 R-Pod 190
2019 Colorado LT
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 7:01pm
You should have received a manilla envelope with your 190 and inside it will have various vendors and the paperwork/manuals who supplied/furnished the trailer.  Mine included manuals/paperwork for the Suburban stove and HW heater, axle, Dometic fridge, Thetford toilet, water pump, brakes and  converter.  Special ordered ours w/o A/C, oven, or entertainments system, so of course no info was supplied for those items.
God's pod
'11 model 177
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>