R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My 2014 172 podmods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 2014 172 podmods
    Posted: 04 May 2023 at 1:06am
The first thing I decided to do was get rid of that awful laminate countertop and dinette table and replace it with something nice. I found this 1" x 25" x 72" butcherblock at Home Depot for $159 and bought two.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Interbuild-6-ft-L-x-25-in-D-Acacia-Butcher-Block-Standard-Countertop-in-Golden-Teak-with-Square-Edge-675781/317198293

Here's a before and after.

As you can see, I added some flip-up countertop on each side to make the kitchen much more user-friendly and a nice shiny SS sink and stovetop from ebay. Here are some pics of the build process. First I removed the old countertop and added some 1 x 12 pine boards to each side for mounting the flip-up countertops.

Continued on next post.

abikerider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 1:21am
Here I am measuring twice and cutting once.

I rounded the corners of the flip-up counters using my router. I think it looks pretty good. It's a huge improvement over the stock countertop.

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:02am
Some other things I did to the outside when weather permitted was remove and re-caulk the right side roof where it meets the side molding using geocell, gradually replace every screw with stainless steel ones, remove and re-apply Dicor self leveling compound to the fantastic fan and plumbing vents, remove flaking and rusty paint from the frame and coat with Rustoleum enamel, and remove some of the decals on the front, rear, and right side that were peeling. Those stickers were a b*tch to remove. 

Also replaced corroded door and storage locks, step handle, front outside light (bad switch), new safety chains (old ones were very rusty), dual propane tank mounts and cover, propane regulator and hoses, aluminum diamond plate battery box, new end caps on original sewer hose storage tube, new 15' Rynoflex sewer hose and longer second storage tube, new wheels and tires ( it had the original 10 year old tires on corroded rims without a spare, and a spare tire holder on back (it was missing and I had to adapt one off of Amazon). 

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:10am
The TV antenna was very corroded and had started to leak water so I removed it and put in a Panorama combination Wifi/cellular/GPS antenna. We really don't watch TV but we do like our Internet. Because this antenna is made for thinner roofs and the extender offerred by the manufacturer still was not long enough, I had to fabricate my own 80mm mount extension. Here's some pics of it. It was not easy to make since it required some very fine and large metric taps and dies to fabricate. Let me know if you'd like me to make one for you. I have all the tools now.Smile

v

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:37am
I also removed the bathroom sink as it was pretty useless and took up valuable space. I'm posting pics of the process in the hope that it will help others to do the same. I have seen others do this but with very few pictures that show the process.

I had to cap off this drainpipe. I ended up cutting it right at the hub of the elbow and used a rubber cap to seal it.I had to widen the opening to get the saw in there.

Don't worry, I used a hose clamp to keep it in place. Big smile
I found this matching piece of wall behind the broken refrigerator and carefully cut it to size since I did not have a second chance.

Here's the rubber cap with the hose clamp on it.

After squaring up the hole (a utility knife works really well on this thin stuff), I glued and clamped these pieces of 1 x 3 around the perimeter so that I could glue the new piece in there.

Here it is all glued into place. It doesn't match exactly, but it's good enough for me. I also need to put in some kind of corner molding since the one in there has a big gap.

This is what I used to caulk it. 

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:46am
I also decided the lower bunk did not have adequate support. The side supports were pulling out of the walls! Here's my remedy. The front wall was tricky with the odd angles. I think I ended up doing 22 degree cuts if I remember correctly. A table saw came in very handy.

v

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 2:54am
I tried to get the old Dometic 3 way fridge working but it was a lost cause and would have cost more than I spent on a replacement. I decided to go with a 12 volt Everchill for about half the price of a new Dometic 3 way. It was around $600. I figure I can buy some Lithium ion batteries with the money I saved. I also fabricated my own solid covers to replace the fridge vents since the 12 volt fridge does not need the ventilation. It's kind of crazy that no one makes this considering how 12 volt fridges are getting more popular. I'll try to post some pics of the covers I made.

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 3:03am
To go with the future Lithium ion batteries, I am replacing the old converter charger with one that can charge the new batteries. I also replaced the old propane detector and CO/smoke detector. The pathetic plastic mechanical strut for the cabinet over the stove was broken so I bought these on Amazon. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B15B76GF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also added a variable speed controler to the fantastic fan to replace the inefficient 3 speed control. Here's what I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F839VNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The heater was not working so I took it apart and cleaned the sail switch. Now it works.  Here are pics showing the two screws that need to be removed to take the outer shell off.

And then it slides apart like this. I used compressed air to get ride of most of the dust.

Here are pics of the sail switch and how I cleaned the switch and its contacts with contact cleaner.

There were some tiny screw heads that I had to use my linesman pliers to remove.

The water heater gas  worked but the electric did not. I replaced the disintegrating anode, flushed the tank, cleaned up and painted the outside of the water heater, and replaced the bad electric heating element.
To be continued...
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 5:47am
Some very nicely done projects on your 172.  The counter for the stove and sink is really nice.  It looks like you took out the bunkbed and replaced it with an expanded lower berth.  We did the that in our 172 and kept part of the upper bunk between the head and the front wall as a shelf.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 5:52am
Very nice !  There is probably a job opening at FR for you; you could be in charge of upgrading the substandard build of the R-Pod and could watch sales skyrocket!  I like your faucet, did the same on our 2011 177 a number of years ago when the chincy handle broke. That is some workmanship you should be proud of!!

Noticed you still have the old curtains over the back window.  Something we did back in 2013 was to replace that with a 2x cellular shade from Blinds.com; still very functional today.  We like it as it can be raised and lowered instantly for instant view or privacy.

A few years ago when our fridge turned 10 years old, I replaced it with the same model.  Even now I would do the same since boondocking is our normal way to camp, propane is king for us as we do not utilize either solar or use a generator.  Glad it works for you.  Thanks for your updates.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>