R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My 2014 172 podmods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 2014 172 podmods
    Posted: 04 May 2023 at 11:11am
Originally posted by lostagain

Some very nicely done projects on your 172.  The counter for the stove and sink is really nice.  It looks like you took out the bunkbed and replaced it with an expanded lower berth.  We did the that in our 172 and kept part of the upper bunk between the head and the front wall as a shelf.  

Thanks. I did not remove the upper bunk yet, but the thought crossed my mind. Also, I treated the wood supporting the bed with the same Interbuild hard wax oil used on the countertop to make it water resistant. I also painted the plywood bed support with Rustoleum enamel for the same purpose.
abikerider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 11:20am
Originally posted by jato

Very nice !  There is probably a job opening at FR for you; you could be in charge of upgrading the substandard build of the R-Pod and could watch sales skyrocket!  I like your faucet, did the same on our 2011 177 a number of years ago when the chincy handle broke. That is some workmanship you should be proud of!!

Noticed you still have the old curtains over the back window.  Something we did back in 2013 was to replace that with a 2x cellular shade from Blinds.com; still very functional today.  We like it as it can be raised and lowered instantly for instant view or privacy.

A few years ago when our fridge turned 10 years old, I replaced it with the same model.  Even now I would do the same since boondocking is our normal way to camp, propane is king for us as we do not utilize either solar or use a generator.  Glad it works for you.  Thanks for your updates.

Thanks. I am wondering what to do with that back window. Could you post a link to the blinds you used or the model number? I'm very interested in that.

We plan on getting some solar panels for when we boondock. I'm not sure how often we will do that. The 12 volt fridge is just much less complex and therefore has less to go wrong with it. Hopefully it is reliable for us.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 12:13pm
I like the countertop. What is the weight of it compared with the original. I would think that it weighs more, but it certainly will be more durable.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by abikerider

Thanks. I am wondering what to do with that back window. Could you post a link to the blinds you used or the model number? I'm very interested in that.

Just go to Blinds.com.  Many different colors and cell thicknesses (we used 2x).  Simply measure your width and length.  Their reps. are very helpful if you need assistance.  We went with a shade that was 2" wider than the window and 2" longer.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I like the countertop. What is the weight of it compared with the original. I would think that it weighs more, but it certainly will be more durable.

I actually weighed them both and took pictures of the scale. After reviewing the pictures, the original weighed 12.4 lbs. and the butcherblock weighed 9 lbs. This did not include the flip up sections or the hardware that supports them, just the main countertop. Pressed wood is heavier than solid wood.

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by jato

Originally posted by abikerider

Just go to Blinds.com.  Many different colors and cell thicknesses (we used 2x).  Simply measure your width and length.  Their reps. are very helpful if you need assistance.  We went with a shade that was 2" wider than the window and 2" longer.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what the 2x meant.
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 7:04pm
Sorry. 2x means double cell, 3x is triple cell and so on.  The double cell worked well, not too wide for the application and gave more insulating value than the single cell shade.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2023 at 8:41pm
Very nice mods. Love the butcher block. What really caught my eye has nothing to do with your Rpod, but your Surly Long Haul Trucker in the background. I covered a lot of miles on mine until it was stolen. Mine was Utility Blue. Replaced it with a Kona Sutra.
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 5:33am
abikerider, we also raised the level of the lower bed when we took out the upper bunk.  I put it at almost at the same height of the dinette seats.  It comfortably accommodated both me and my wife.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2023 at 10:01am
Originally posted by lostagain

abikerider, we also raised the level of the lower bed when we took out the upper bunk.  I put it at almost at the same height of the dinette seats.  It comfortably accommodated both me and my wife.

Hi lostagain,
That actually sounds like a good idea. I just measured and we could gain an extra 2" of width to make it 46" wide and have an extra deep storage area that could hold a propane generator if needed. I was about to cut a memory foam mattress to size, but now am reconsidering it. Hmmm, that means more work for me. It would also be nice to have the domed roof above the bed; it would feel much less claustrophobic. Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>