This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New to this site - Event Date: 15 Apr 2023 - 28 Apr 2023

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote kuhnsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: New to this site
    Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 11:47am
Hi all!  I'm now the proud owner of a 2018 179.  Just added a solar panel on the roof and plan to put a futon where the slide dinette seat is.  Got the idea for this site!  

I live in the Portland, Oregon area and have camped in Oregon's wonderful state parks for decades.  

Gary
Oregon Gary
Zinnderpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zinnderpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 2:16pm
Hi! I am new here. I own a 2022 rPod 202 purchased last year. Have been camping on the East Coast a little bit, but haven't had luck with it being reliable. I've had multiple problems and welcome any advice. I'm starting to search the site to find solutions for the following, and subscribe to John Marucci's YT channel as he has a lot of good instructional videos. 

I have a bit of buyer's remorse mostly because I bought this to be able to accommodate my two kids who don't really want to camp, so I'm considering trading it in and getting something smaller.

My favorite thing about it is the layout, the kitchen, (my friends love the round sink!), the micro/convection oven, the fridge/freezer and the awesome fireplace! Lots of plugs and charging ports are a plus, plus like the skylight in the shower.

My least favorite things are the awning (it did not close/seat right and was ripped off by a tree branch), water pump, the water heater and the propane (which has never worked).

I don't have solar yet - waiting to get that done. 

I use a generator that works well when boondocking (Champion 4500 Watt - dual fuel (which works on gas but no luck yet on the propane option. I seem to have bad luck!)

Good advice welcome!

Smile

Travel safely!

-Zinny

'22 rPod 202
Lab mom
Humans: Boy mom
Go Tarheels! 

-Zinny
2022 rPod 202
2 Lab Mom
2 Human Boy Mom
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 3:31pm
Welcome Gary and Zinnderpod.   Welcome aboard to your 24/7 owners manual.  I have greatly benefited from the expertise' of others over the years, am sure you will as well. 

Gary, I have always wanted to go to Oregon as the pics I have seen, from Bend, and the Cascade Mountains are just phenomenal.  In the past we get to Glacier NP (from Michigan) and get stuck there and by the time we realize it, we need to return home.  Some day though . . .

Zinny, what problems are you encountering with the propane?  We have owned our 177 for just over 12 years and the propane side has been nearly flawless; we usually boondock so it is propane all the time for the fridge, furnace, and cooking (unless we use the charcoal grill which is done quite often).  Only one issue a few years ago as I had never turned the propane off except to change tanks, flames got smaller and smaller and then nothing.  Turned out that the propane hoses were full of a black gooey substance that didn't allow the gas to run through; it also toasted the regulator.  But a new regulator ($ 30) and flushing out the hose and I have been back in business.  No issues since then.

Please elaborate on the propane problems you are having, quite sure someone here will be able to help in finding a solution.  BTW, is your 202 still under warranty whereby you could take it back to the dealer on his dime?
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Zinnderpod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Zinnderpod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 4:13pm
Thank you, Jato!

Re: The propane: When I turn it on at the source it does not feed the cooktop. Someone told me that it could be a bad regulator so I may check that first. I really think dealers should make sure you know how to operate at least the basics before you take title to any RV. Thankfully the internet exists to help troubleshoot and fix things. Yes, it's under warranty so I am going to drop it off at some point this summer, but the problem is it can take weeks/months for warranty claims (I didn't have it for 6 months due to a (crappy) Lippert axle warranty claim). Seems like I may have a lemon, but I'm not one to give up easily!

Doing my research this weekend so I can try to get the punchlist taken care of.
-Zinny
2022 rPod 202
2 Lab Mom
2 Human Boy Mom
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 4:33pm
Welcome Z and k.  Hope you find lots of helpful info on the board.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 7:04pm
IF your HW and furnace works on propane but stove does not, probably have a pinched line that doesn't allow the proper amount of propane flow.  If none of them work, yes, likely a junk regulator.  I was blessed when picking up our 177 back in March 2011 up in the U.P. of Michigan.  They spent a good 2+ hours going through everything, then asking us how things worked, and if we couldn't give the right answer, they went over that part again so that we would get it.  Amazingly, everything was spotless, even behind the converter and other places where many have said they find chunks of debris and sawdust.

Funny thing, (I didn't think so at the time) while they were prepping ours so we could take it home, they set my wife in a 40' fifth wheel, that had everything!  I told the salesman, that's not fair, besides we can't haul that monster with our 2008 Explorer.  The salesman smiled and told me he knew a salesman across the street (Ford dealer) that could take care of that too.  Regardless, here we are 12 years later and really like this little r-pod, it has and continues to serve us well as we make a lot of great memories.  I hope you will be able to do the same with your 202.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
 Post Reply Post Reply