R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What’s the best way to repair the cabinet wood?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What’s the best way to repair the cabinet wood?
    Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 10:30am
Recently after returning from a trip I discovered the entire wooden panels that surrounds the floor vac in my 190 had worked its way free from the wooden supports behind. Looks like there were just tiny finishing nails holding it together to begin with. Doesn’t seem ideal.

Anyway. Can anyone recommend some ways to fix this outside of drilling screws through the front into the particle board support behind?
Nicholas Palumbo
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 2:02pm
I just finished working on a neighbors table where one of the 6 legs broke off.  Purchased from the hardware store a small bottle of Gorilla glue, it came in a 4 oz. bottle and is clear in color.  Pretty simple to apply, using a spray bottle mist one side of the gluing surface with water, the other side use a small amount of the Gorilla glue and clamp.  Leg is very sturdy and table (8 ft. oak) is rock solid.  That should work for you w/o fussing with nails.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
npalumbo89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 2:11pm
Good idea. Thank you!
Nicholas Palumbo
ArenaBlanca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote ArenaBlanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 4:09pm
My experience with Gorilla glue is that it foams and expands.  It needs moisture in order to he activated -- hence spraying one side with water.  They may have reformulated it since I used it.  The critical word in Jato's comment is "clamp".  Figure out how you are going to clamp your repair before re-assembling the repair.  Many woodworkers use brads (tiny finishing nails) as their clamps.
Enjoy Life!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 4:50pm
Okay good to know. I was wondering about the spraying with water part. I’m honestly not sure how to clamp it. The wood facade with the vacuum attached only was secured by a handful of small nails to the vertical support particle board from beneath. I May have to apply pressure from the front and maybe wedge some wood between the wall and the panel I need to secure.
Nicholas Palumbo
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 5:33pm
It sounds like the glue that jato referred to is a cyanoacrylate glue with an accelerator spray.  Gorilla glues come in many, many different types, such as the amber colored foamy stuff which is polyurethane based, and their yellowish wood glue.  The number of glues on the market is mind boggling and the right glue depends on the specific application.  Right now we're using Gorilla Max Strength Clear Construction Adhesive to glue cabinet end panels and door casings in place where we can't nail them.  The glue came with the cabinet installation package from the cabinet supplier.  It comes in a caulking sized tube and is takes about 30 minutes to solidify.  The problem I've had with cyanoacrylate glues is that the bond is not very strong and it will separate if it's stressed.  

npalumbo89, if you can get some glue between the panel and it's underlying support, the simplest solution might be to get a small artists' paint brush into the space or fit the tip of a glue application syringe, you can apply regular old yellowish wood glue in between the separated parts, then clamp or wedge something to hold it tight while it dries and it'll be plenty strong for your purposes.  The nice thing about good old yellow wood glue is that it cleans up with water and isn't messy to use.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 6:27pm
The table repaired above weighs a good 50 kg or 110 lbs.  Amazing that it took about 8-9 drops for a surface that measured 2" wide by 5" long.  Even with that small amount there was a small amount of clean-up immediately after clamping as the glue turned white and needed to be removed.  Left the clamp on for 1 hour, hit the repaired area fairly well with a rubber mallet; it made a strong bond!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 7:01pm
jato, is this a CA glue or some other Gorilla product?  My experience with CA glues is that they make a strong bond with tensile strength, but if the two pieces get a sideways impact or stress they separate relatively easily.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote npalumbo89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 7:59pm
Now I’m confused on which glue to use haha.
Nicholas Palumbo
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2023 at 5:30am
Go to a local small hardware store and ask which glue they sell that would be best for that application.  Personally, if it's real wood being attached to real wood, I'd use the yellow wood glue, such as Gorilla Wood Glue, and apply pressure on it, as mentioned above, until it dries.  The construction glue that I mentioned would also work great, but it's messy to use and has to be cleaned up with denatured alcohol.  I'll be applying more of that today to finish off the kitchen cabinets I've been installing.  I'll use a pneumatic pin nailer to hold the cabinet toe space covers and corner trim in place while the glue sets.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>