R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hood river rpod 177 rear rebuild help needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote listeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hood river rpod 177 rear rebuild help needed
    Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:31pm
I have a hood river 177 that has water damage from the spoiler. It pretty much destroyed the entire rear section and I had to tear out the entire rear section. The bonded wood is the question. What or where can I get either the measurements for the curved pieces that run all the way down and or what is the best thing to use to replace the curved wood that the rest of the cross pieces attach to? all advice is welcomed. At this point it is heavy duty tarped and trying to dry what remains out. I did reply to the other user that did pretty much the same thing but I have hope someone responds with a good idea for fixing this mess. I'm good enough to rebuild the rest just looking for options for the  curved stuff. 
listeur@gmail.com
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 4:16pm
You have quite a project there.  There is boat plywood purchased by the sheet and cut out the angles to match the existing form.  Keep the weight down as much as possible in the back or it won't tow properly.  The only strength is needed something to fasten the outside sheeting to.
Good luck. 
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote 1nana2many Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2023 at 4:56pm
A few years ago, we had to tear apart out Coachman Captiva and rebuild it due to water damage coming in through the marker lights. We basically did our own laminating by using 1/8” sheets of plywood and doing a couple layers that we glued, clamped and screwed or Brad nailed together right on the curve. We replaced/added a couple 2 x 2s as cross braces because the original framing  was stapled together scraps with air gaps between pieces, literally not supporting anything. Use stainless screws wherever you put them to prevent rusting. You will have to find creative ways to clamp across the camper to help get the curve into the new wood. Be generous with the glue! Hopefully you can reuse the outside skin. It’s a multiple person job getting it to mold to the shape you want, but you can do it! One thing about tearing apart an RV, you will KNOW when you finish that it far better built then it was when it left the factory! 
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
listeur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote listeur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2023 at 11:51am
thanks for the advise. Stainless screws are a must. Marine grade wood and aluminum seems to be the way to go. I find it amazing we only really expect these to last for a decade. My canned ham Belle 1973 was still in perfect condition when we sold it. My 1979 American Clipper had a minor leak in the rear panel and due to better materials was an easy fix. I guess you get what you pay for these days. 
I can rebuild it- it's all about time and effort. The crummy thing is it is a 5 hour drive away in Fruita colorado and fabricators are more geared for farming out there. I'll post the progress

listeur@gmail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply