R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing 7 Pin Plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote DD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing 7 Pin Plug
    Posted: 18 May 2023 at 4:06pm
Hello All,

Maybe a very silly question. But the 7 pin plug on the trailer end seemed to have been dragged on the ground and the pins wont connect to my truck anymore. I'm going to just snip the plug off and replace. Have no problems doing that through some tutorials but I have a silly question.

Is there any power or battery switch I need to turn off in the trailer so I don't potentially shock myself when cutting off the trailer plug end? 
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 6:21pm
Disconnect the battery positive side
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2023 at 8:31pm
Always disconnect the NEGATIVE side first.  That way if the wrench inadvertently touches the frame it will not cause and ark.  And always connect the positive first, for the same reason.
DD08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote DD08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 8:15am
Thank you Both! 
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:40am
I would replace the entire cord as an integrated unit.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 9:51am
+1 to GlueGuy.  Trying to rewire a new 7 pin plug from the existing cable is going to introduce an unsealed connection that is a weak point for the entire cable and can let in water and other corrosive stuff.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote SC for Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2023 at 10:05am
+2 to GlueGuy,  You might find what you need on amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=7pin+trailer+wiring+harness&crid=R62BKJFFJKL0&sprefix=7pin+%2Caps%2C574&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_3_5

I've replaced mine with a 7 foot cord.  There should be a junction box under and near the front of the camper. 
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
abikerider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote abikerider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:48pm
I found this one on Amazon that says it is waterproof. I haven't installed it yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BJ1Z26MQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 10:09am
For another ~~ $15 you can get the whole enchilada.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply