R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Passenger side brake gets hot.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Passenger side brake gets hot.
    Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:06pm
Hey guys, more questions from RV newbie. 

Finally took my Rpod out for some short distance trip yesterday, and noticed the passenger side brake runs a lot hotter than the left side. 

I tried to adjust the brake (by taking off the wheel etc.) and it moves almost freely. 

What do you guys think is going on here? 

gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 12:27pm
What's "a lot hotter"? Normal operating temps are between 140 and 175degrees F. Personally, if it's within that range I wouldn't be concerned. I would routinely check the tire and brake drum temps on our 179 and it wasn't unusual to see a difference of 10-15 degrees between sides on occasion. Lots of factors come into play, wind cooling one side and not the other, sun shining on once side, etc..
Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 5:43pm
I agree with gpokluda. 
We bought a cheap($30) IR thermometer at HF and use it every time we stop .  this is the cheapest one now available at HF
https://www.harborfreight.com/121-infrared-laser-thermometer-63985.html

We check the central hub(bearings), outside hub(brakes), and the tire temperatures. there is a wide variety of temps depending on sunny/shade side as well as lots of other factors.  We usually see temps within 25-40 degrees for each side.  After you check them at each stop during multiple trips , you will determine your ranges and can really tell hot hot is too hot.
Travel safe and often
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
pedwards2932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote pedwards2932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:42pm
When my brakes had different temperatures....one about 180 degrees the other about 90 degrees the issue was the wires that activated the side that was cooler had a break at the connectors so that side brakes weren't working at all.  They don't use the best connectors.  I used the Harbor Freight temp sensor as well.
gpokluda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote gpokluda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2023 at 9:03am
+1 on the HF temp sensor. Works great for trailer tires and wheels and pizza ovens too!

Gpokluda
2017 Rpod 179(sold 2023)
2022 Escape 5.0TA
2022 Ford F150 4X4 3.5EB
Triumph T120
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2023 at 11:57pm
Thanks for the replies, guys, appreciate that. 
I happened to own one of these temp sensors already, (one of these I might need it at a certain point purchase), glad to put it to use. 
Upon a closer look, turns out the wiring is broken on the left side, causing the right side to over work. 
However I am facing a bigger issue as I screwed up on the brake adjustment and now it's seized. 
I'll open another thread to draw a bit more attention if it's ok. 
 Post Reply Post Reply