R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Water Heater Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Bowcat66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Heater Question
    Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 6:23pm
I bought a 2016 RPod 180, and I am
Preventative maintenance freak. What Water heater anode did you replace yours with? I'm not that elcheapo, so I don't want the knock off "Bob's Brand" parts. Also, I really would like to have an owners manual. Where on earth can I find one? 🤔
God Bless America! Go NAVY!!
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 7:58pm
Welcome Bowcat 66.  I am still on my original anode, it is now 12+ years old and in pretty good condition.  It has only seen well water, I believe if city/muni water is used the life of the anode is greatly reduced due to all the chemicals added to that water.

Your owners manual is . . . . .  HERE!  Ask away and someone will most likely be able to help.  I have been helped many times by the 'expert' podders who have a lot of experience under their belt.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:02pm
Camping World has anodes.  Go to the water heaters web sight with the model number of the tank.  Don't be surprised if the part manual does not match the heater.  Mine has a completely different valve and feeder tube to the burner than the parts manual.  Camping World was even shocked.  I had to replace the circuit board twice in my 180 to get it to operate properly on propane.  The start sequence was off. 
Bowcat66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bowcat66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 8:12pm
Thanks much,folks!I appreciate it.
God Bless America! Go NAVY!!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:09pm
It isn't just that well water is less corrosive. A lot depends on the pH of the water and the mineral content. Jato has good quality well water. City water isn't necessarily that corrosive, depending on source. Ours isn't as anode rod friendly as Jato's, but it isn't bad. I don't have to worry about an anode rod with the tankless heater in our new trailer.

There are magnesium anode rods which are more chemically active and will sacrifice themselves more quickly to protect the steel in the tank. The aluminum ones last longer, but since they are not as chemically active, they don't provide quite the same level of protection. Unless you are having to replace them every year, sticking with the magnesium rods is probably best.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2023 at 9:29pm
https://thecampingadvisor.com/magnesium-vs-aluminum-anode-rod-better/

(Aluminum vs Magnesium anode rods)
To be honest, one anode rod is better for hard water, and the other is better for soft water. When you are camping in hard water areas, the aluminum anode rod is the best one to have inside your water tank.

It is less reactive than magnesium and also, and aluminum is better for those areas with a lot of sulfur in the water supply. On the other hand, magnesium is very reactive and removes corrosive materials faster than aluminum anode rods can. But that reactive state is better in soft water regions of the country.

The aluminum anode rod cannot work fast enough in soft water making it the inferior choice for those water regions. It turns out that the popularity of magnesium, despite what some owners have said, makes it possible to be the least expensive of the two.

That price difference will depend on the store you buy your anode rods at. The problem with magnesium is that it comes with a shorter lifespan than the aluminum model.
 Post Reply Post Reply