R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Tire date: does it really matter that much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire date: does it really matter that much?
    Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 3:27pm
Hey guys, 

I booked a appointment to have my RPod HRE tires switched over, but realized the tires (Carlisle load E) were manufactured more than a year ago.  I did check when booking the appointments that they would be from this year at least. 

From all I read online, trailer tires need to be replaced every 5 year regardless of usage. So I kindly declined and asked to check if there is any new tires can be sent out from other warehouses. 

The tire guy did insist that trailer tires last up to 7 years, since they were manufactured the same way as car tires. 

Would like to hear out your input, thanks. 
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2023 at 3:54pm
The original tires that came with my 2011 177 were manufactured during the 2009 calendar year.  The tires were 'Tire King' load range 'C' and produced in China.  This being our first TT I didn't pay attention to trailer tires as I recall my dad having the same tires on his utility trailer for over 20 years; they were cracked and weather checked to no end, yet they never blew out or had a flat.  Fast forward to our 177 and reading about how tires are to be replaced every 5 years got me to thinking well it is now 2015 and time to replace these 'china bombs' as some refer to them as and even though there were over 20K miles on them, they still appeared new, tread wise.  Upon taking them in the tire guy was telling me how lucky I was as the above named tires were over 7 years old and finally getting replaced.  Anyway, I am going to now buck the system and at least go 6 years with the current Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires (load range 'D') that are currently on the 177.  They are kept out of the sun when not in use and are stored under cover during the long northern Michigan winters.  Time will tell, but after going 7 years with said cheaper Tire King "C" tires, the better Carlisle "D" tires ought to last that long as well IMHO.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
lostagain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote lostagain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 5:49am
It probably depends on the quality of the tire.  Cheaply constructed tires won't last as long as well built ones.  The differences in rubber compounding and quality control in the layup and tread application will show up in the longevity of the tire.  How to tell which tires are better than the others?  Who knows?  They all look pretty much the same when they're new, round and black.  Over the life of the tire the aging process will begin to show, depending on use conditions.  Sun, harsh cleaning chemicals, road hazards, inflation, heat and sidewall flexion, all affect the tire's lifespan.  

Personally, I stay away from cheap tires.  If they are priced super low, then it stands to reason that the materials used are not likely the best and the labor is unskilled.  Tires from name brands, such as Goodyear and Carlisle, cost more but also have reputations to protect, so they may use better materials and have better quality control.  The only way to tell with reasonable certainty is for objective product testing with the brands side by side.  I haven't been able to find any such tests for ST tires.

The consensus, from what I've been able to glean from Mx. Google, is that the average tire life is about 5 years, but as jato suggests, it may well be longer depending on how the tires are used or cared for.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote GlueGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 10:38am
I would not argue with someone going with 5 years, but I've generally gone with 6 years as long as there are no visible cracks in the sidewalls. I do start looking very carefully when they hit the 5 year age.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
EchoGale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote EchoGale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 4:34pm
It seems to me that there's a "5 year rule" for trailer tires because they are driven less so, unlike vehicle tires, they rarely reach the actual miles for which the tires rated. Even if well below the mileage rating, having been exposed to sun an other elements for five years, they have deteriorated even if there aren't visible signs.  This would mean that conditions would dictate how literally to hold to 5 years. Maybe sunny Florida driving on forest service roads won't be the same as year old tires that have been in warehouse storage.
Julie
Pod People View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Pod People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 7:16pm

Tires, tires, tires!!

So many questions, so many options and even more opinions.

Here’s my opinion, based solely on my experience.

I have had 2 RPods(173 and 179) since 2011.  During that time, I have had (in order) the original “China bombs”(Grand Ride) that came on the 173,  a set of Carlisles, a set of Maxxiis and 2 sets of Goodyear Endurance tires.  The last set of Goodyear Endurance were installed a month ago.

We have used our RPods extensively-on multi week trips going from central NC to Florida at least 6 times, to Vancouver and west coast twice, to NY Adirondacks, to Michigan’s UP, Texas and southwest as well as many shorter trips around the southeast. Our trips have ranged from 3 months to long weekends.

Each of the tires listed above were improvements from the previous brand. In every case, the older tires did not appear overly worn, cracked or abused. All of the tires except the original factory supplied set were always balanced prior to installation.

I have had one blowout because of unavoidable road debris and DO NOT want to do that again!  That was not the fault of the tire and ANY tire can suffer this issue.

It is my opinion that you cannot have too good of a tire.  I want the BEST tire available.

My opinion after trying all of the above brands is that the Goodyear Endurance IS the best tire for my travel style and my RPod.  It has proven to me that it stays balanced, doesn’t leak , rides and tows smooth due to a stiffer sidewall and offers the best tread wear and service of any of the other brands that I have used.  I spent a total of $303.74 for the latest set 1 month ago at my local tire/auto shop.

As to age, the Goodyear’s were replaced at 5 years even though they still appeared perfectly capable of continuing to be used safely.  My safety is not worth saving 1/6th ($50+/-)of the cost of a set of tires by waiting and gambling on another year of service.

I would agree that traveling style (trip distance, pod weight, speed, temperature, etc) are all factors to be considered. For myself, Goodyear Endurance tires will be on my trailer for 5 years and then replaced with the same unless something better comes to the market.

Just my opinion

Travel safe and often

Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 7:26pm
Appreciate all the replies guys. 
I am glad I asked to get newer tires, and let's see how that will play out. 
I also looked at Goodyear, but they cost 20% more where I live (Calgary, Canada), I figured I'll give the Carlisle load E a try since it's also oftenly discussed here. 

hank*pod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote hank*pod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 7:52am
When I installed my new Goodyear Endurance tires (replacing 7-year-old Westlakes that were on the R-Pod when I bought it last fall) I bought a pair of tire covers and slip them over the tires any time it's parked for more than one night. 
I'm assuming this will significantly reduce the UV exposure on the tires and hopefully eliminate that as a potential cause of premature failure. 
jato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote jato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 8:04am
+ 1  Good idea especially for those who camp or park their pod in sunny locations.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
renhui View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote renhui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2023 at 12:22pm
fully agree, tire covers are definitely a must for the Rockies here.  
Got a pair already, just waiting for the new tires to put on :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>