R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Warranty, Service and Recall Bulletins
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPower wire feed from roof?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power wire feed from roof?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 9:42am
I am thinking about installing one or two 'flexible' solar panels on my Pod's roof.  Has any one
tried to 'snake' wires down a Pod wall?  If I had to...I could feed the power wires directly through
the roof down the washroom wall and then to the power center. 
Does any know if the interior walls are single layer or two layers?
TIDALWAVE
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 2:56pm
The interior walls are hollow...

On my 171, I'd probably bring power down beside the antenna wire; down through the storage over the fridge, behind the fridge and then across under the stove and sink to the convertor.

Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 8:57pm
On my 171 the inside walls are hollow.  I have run wires around the bench, sink, stove, and frig.  In the spring I plan to try pulling under the floor to the bathroom side a wire.  Would love to see what you are thinking about for solar.  We have been dry camping ALOT this winter and running battery power but taking the batteries with us during the day to charge them.
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 7:50am
When I first started to look at solar panels, most were flat and rigid.  They would not install correctly on an R-Pod.  A friend suggested I investigate 'thin-film flexible' panels.  They can be be bent both longitudinally and transversely.  They can run from near the top of the roof down both at the front and back of the Pod, or laid across the roof.  42 watt panels are about 2'x5'. Several brands also feature '3-M weather-proof' adhesive on the back of the panels, so there is no need to bolt the the panels down.
The newest types can still provide some power even if there is a branch shadow over the panel.  Older panels stop generating if even the smallest shadow crosses any portion of the panel!
I thought about using 42 Watt panels because if the panels are bowed to fit the Pod roof some portions of the panels will only receive sun at an angle.  I am planning on installing one panel in front and one in the rear as high as I can fit them up to the AC, etc.
With a maximum of 4-8 amps 12 VDC, I plan on installing a dual feed charge controller adjacent to
the 110VAC-12VDC power panel. 
TIDALWAVE
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 8:15pm

Make sure its a MPPT charge controller, and then wire the panels in series to feed it.  I highly recommend a visit to this forum for advice on all things solar...

http://wind-sun.com/ForumVB/index.php

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
 Post Reply Post Reply