R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

rPod 192 - Fresh Tank Filling... How?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HunGopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rPod 192 - Fresh Tank Filling... How?
    Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 12:14pm
Just got a '23 rPod 192 over winter and this past weekend was our first extended camping trip, so we're still learning the unit.  However, this question is difficult to explain so I'll try my best.

Site was a full hookup and we were running city water.  After the first night I noticed the fresh tank drain was dripping.  We had some rain the night before so I didn't think too much of it.  Go inside the camper to see the floor between the sink and pump is wet.  We had a leak on our stove vent during some heavy rain so I thought it was that.  In an attempt to make sure I got all the water, I pop the cover off the night stand and tighten whatever I could on the hoses and pump.  Clean everything up and don't notice any leaks.  I check the fresh tank to see it was full...?

Pop the drain plug and a whole tank of water pours out.  While waiting for that to finish, I crawled under the camper and pressed up on the underbelly...it was full of water.  Called the RV shop we bought it from and they basically said to check everything I had already checked and to keep an eye on it.  I know.. very helpful.  Poked some holes in the undercarriage it to let it drain and there was a concerning amount of water trapped in there.

While the shower was in use, I decided to learn more about the camper and I pressed the button to check the fresh tank level and see the LED blipping between empty and 1/3 full.  When the shower stops, the blip stopped.  I turned on the recirc valve to run hot water through and then I see the LED going bananas again.

What seems to be happening is the fresh water at the shower is back-feeding into the fresh tank and filling it.  Is this normal?  I thought the recirc was to go between the shower and the hot water heater, not the fresh tank, let alone the use of the shower somehow making it back to the fresh tank.  Is there a valve or something we missed during de-winterization?

If there are any clarifications or things to try please let me know.  I'm paranoid thinking there is a leak somewhere I can't see and taking the underbody panels off is something I don't want to do, and this is something that should be looked at under warranty.  As you can guess, the RV place we bought it from has been less than helpful in the matter.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 12:26pm
You have a shower miser. It is normal behavior for water to be routed back to the fresh water tank. The leak is not normal. It should not fill the underbelly. It is meant to save water when boondocking. If you have full hookups, don't use the shower miser. Leaking into the underbelly is not normal. Something is wrong with the tank overflow if it is filling the underbelly. Also, it is not unusual for fittings to not be fully tightened at the factory. I recommend going through and tightening all of them.

Go to the Shower Miser web site to learn the principle of operation for the Shower Miser. That will help.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
HunGopher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HunGopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by StephenH

You have a shower miser. It is normal behavior for water to be routed back to the fresh water tank... If you have full hookups, don't use the shower miser.  
Good to know that none of that was explained to us prior to now.

Originally posted by StephenH

The leak is not normal. It should not fill the underbelly. It is meant to save water when boondocking.Leaking into the underbelly is not normal. Something is wrong with the tank overflow if it is filling the underbelly. Also, it is not unusual for fittings to not be fully tightened at the factory. I recommend going through and tightening all of them.
I will do just that.  Thank you!

StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 8:36pm
We did not get a shower miser with our new trailer even though it came with a tankless water heater. I will be installing one after we get back from this trip. I have been trying to figure out how to route a return line and I think I have it figured out.

Anyway, that should have been explained when you purchased your R-Pod. I hope you get the issues with leaking into the underbelly figured out.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
seafans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote seafans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:16pm
My 192 had the same issue with water running toward the sink.  There is a panel that can be easily remove by 4 screws and you can see the pipping from the filler to the tank.  Also there is a panel under the sofa that can be remove to inspect the tubing connected to the top of the tank including the pump. I resealed the hose from the filler neck to the tank at that stopped my water issue.  Check the clamps on the hoses that are connected to the top of the fresh water tank,you will probably find them loose.  Good luck!
StephenH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2023 at 7:05am
It is another of Forest River's quality assurance failures. On our new Grey Wolf, the connections for hot and cold water in the bathroom were reversed. The shower faucet was correct, but was leaking because the connection on the cold water line was not properly tightened. I checked other fittings and they were okay, but the water pump wouldn't pump water. That was replaced and is now working correctly. It makes me wonder if the overflow line was connected to the pump and the water line was routed to the overflow. Anyway, it is fixed now.

As for getting to the top of the tank, if it is convenient to get it to the dealer and the dealer can get it done quick so you don't lose valuable camping time, it is better to get it there so you don't potentially void the warranty by removing the bottom covering. I don't know if you would need to drop the tank to get to the fitting, but I suspect so. Seafans would be able to say whether it is easily accessible or not.

Our former RP179 had its issues also. The kitchen drain connection was not properly tightened at the factory and on the first outing, I found that the water had leaked into the drawers below, damaging two cookbooks that I had stowed down there. I was not a happy camper. The dealer tried to make a lame excuse that they vibrate loose. However, once I had tightened it, it never vibrated loose over the thousands of miles we towed the RP179.

The customer seems to be the final QA for Forest River.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply