R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing glass in slide window

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Rickhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing glass in slide window
    Posted: 13 Jul 2023 at 6:03pm
My question is how do you replace the glass in a sliding side panel window on a 2012 RP177 that was broken by a rock. Forest River no longer supports the window for my model Rpod. I cleaned out the slider of broken glass and am going to replace it with 1/8” plexi glass as I cannot get glass replacement. Does anyone know how to install the glass as the channel that holds the glass has ridges that make it impossible to place the glass in the channel. Is there a secret to installing this glass that I cannot see?

Thank you for your help

Rick
Rick
Ben Herman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Ben Herman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 2:36pm
I don't have direct advice for you, but you might try asking a local glass repair shop. They might have some suggestions. 
Rickhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rickhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 5:14pm
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately the nearest glass repair shop is 3 hours away.  After deciding to replace with acrylic instead of glass I ordered an 1/8” acrylic sheet and am waiting for delivery. I am hoping that because the slider is narrow and tall that there will be enough flex to pop into the slider without breaking.  
Rick
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Post Options Post Options   Quote StephenH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 8:39pm
It would be a bit more expensive, but if the acrylic doesn't work, try polycarbonate (Lexan).
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Rickhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rickhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2023 at 9:05pm
Good idea. Thank you
Rick
john in idaho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote john in idaho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2023 at 9:23am
soapy water makes a good rubber lubricant.  In old cars, one can put a piece of heavy string in the channel, then position the glass over the rubber, then pull the string to pull the rubber channel over the edge of the glass.  Takes two sets of hands.  Easier to do than explain.
 Post Reply Post Reply